H&Q translation help

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jtommell
Textkit Neophyte

H&Q translation help

Post by jtommell »

Just a couple of questions early on here:
Unit I Exercises
7. ἐν ταις ἀγοραις τὰς τῶν ανθρωπων ψυχαφ ὁ (/ομηροφ τοις βιβλιοις παιδευει.
[face=Arial]"Homer's books teach the men's souls at the market place"[/face]
and
Unit II, Drill III
4. οἱ θεοὶ λογοιφ τὸv (/ομερον ἔπαιδευσαν
[face=Arial]"The gods sent their words to Homer"

1. am i on the right track with how i translated these and
2. if i am correct with the first translation is it common that one's "soul" is educated in which case why didn't the god's send their words to Homer's soul? or is this simply the style that H&Q chose -- which i am led to believe by it's omission in the second, just curious.

thank you[/face]

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi, sorry i've never used h&q, but it looks like they're saying
"homer instructs, with/using words, mens' minds in the agora", and
"the gods trained homer with/through words".

if the first line meant "homer's books teach...", the "books" would be the subject, and so in the nominative case, so you'd expect to see a [size=150]τά[/size] somewhere (since books are neuter). and homer would then be in the genitive... "the books of homer".

but instead they've put homer as the subject, and books in the dative case. so homer (does something) in/with/through books.

in the 2nd example too, "words" is in the dative, so you've got the gods trained homer and then the "with/through words" idea.

it looks like you've translated the rest of it right tho, although other people here using h&q might give more useful advice. :)

cheers, chad. :)

jtommell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jtommell »

excellent, thank you -- i guess i missed that. I must have been trying to break up the memorization reaching for wierd little nuances. Back to my charts.

take care,
jason