Current reads (spinoff from least favorite books)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Current reads (spinoff from least favorite books)

Post by mariek »

Just curious. Besides your Greek/Latin studies... what are you currently reading?

I'm almost finished with "The Name of the Rose" (Umberto Eco). And I've got "The Elegant Universe" (Brian Greene) waiting in the wings.... let's see what this string theory is all about!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I am currently reading GK Chesterton's Orthodoxy for the second time. I also picked up Wuthering Heights yesterday and read the first couple of chapters, since we were talking about classics before :P

After that... I plan to re-read The Mayor of Casterbridge, and then more Chesterton (a volume of Father Brown stories).

The last couple of books before that included Cracked (about caring for people with addictions) and a biography of Eminem. Quite a variety ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

I figure I'm about an hour away from finishing Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon.
After that, I'll read nothing but Latin until I finish Wheelock's.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

A friend of mine loaned me his two college English Literature textbooks...I have until the first of April to finish them. Both are about five-six inches thick, with that paper that they use in dictionaries. (About the same print size as in dictionaries, too.)

Ask me this question again after April. :lol:

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I'm reading Orlando by Virginia Woolf now, and next is Giacomo Joyce, by (obviously) James Joyce. I've read that before, from a library, but couldn't find it in any bookshop. But today, it was lying there, waiting for me, in one of those very cheap bookshop where they sell left-overs from the regular bookshops (De Slegte, for the Dutchies). It made my day :).

Ingrid

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

I am currently reading Moby ****.
Such a wonderful book!
i have'nt read anything for a long time until now. i had a "reader's-block" :?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol! The profanity filter strikes again! :lol:

I'm currently reading Vanity Fair by William Thackeray, and Middlemarch (which was mentioned in the original thread) plus about 10 other books. I'm afraid I don't have much time to read, and I have a stupid habit of reading quite a few books at the same time... though some I may never finish reading, because I'm bored of them. Middlemarch is one I stopped reading, but now I've stared again).
No idea what Vanity Fair is going to be about actually, I've only just started reading it (I'll try and read a chapter every few days), but Thackeray's bio is very interesting, so I thought I'd read one of his books.

Radek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Radek »

Latly I read interesting series of detectiv books about ancient Roma.
It was: "Roma sub Rosa" written by Steven Saylor. I read 8 books of this author.
I think it is great series. You can almost feel like living in roma, walking thei streets.... :D

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I've just finished Misteri Kunci Tak Bertuan (The Mystery of the Key with No Owner) by S. Mara Gd. It was OK as a mystery story but I wish she'd resolve the subplot of Dessy and Gozali's romance once and for all. It's starting to get tedious.

I've just started reading [i/] Interview with the Vampire[/i] by Anne Rice.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I am almost done with Howard's End which I started in my English class last semester, but I'm too caught up in textbooks :cry:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I just finished Coalescent by Stephen Baxter.

Much of it has to do with being in Britain during the decline of Roman influence and order after Constantius failed to grasp the purple. There's a brief visit to Rome, both at that time and now, or only a bit into the future.

Normally I associate Baxter with so-called hard SF. Nowhere in the book was I presented with 11-dimentional mathematics, nor any utterly incomprehensible alien technology. Baxter, like quite a number of SF authors, has recently become fascinated with evolution.

In any case, I liked it.

Next, Running with Scissors a memoir by Augusten Burroughs (what a great name!).
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Why do you all read? I feel like a retard.

I have not read a novel since THE ROPEMAKER, by Peter Dickinsion, bless his soul, about 2 years ago. It was one of the only stupidly far fetched fiction books that I liked. No idea wherefore. Probably because I was forced to read it.

The latest book that I have read is the Latin Prose Composition based on Cicero, by Henry Carr Pearson. Well, the first 80 pages which are lessons.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:Why do you all read?
Because it's fun and enriches the mind. :)

I've always been a reader. However, in my second year of college I came into contact with a man who greatly impressed me by his knowledge of everything--it seemed that no matter what the topic, he was able to contribute intelligently to the discussion, simply because he was so well and widely read. That was when I decided that I needed to broaden my horizons and started reading a greater variety of topics and authors. It has been a wonderful journey!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I also love reading! It's wonderful. Most of my schooling is reading (I know I've already mentioned that), which is absolutely delightful.

I picked up Walden Two the other day...I don't suppose I should have, but I did. (I'm still trying to finish those other books.) I'm about a hundred pages into it...

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Mostly I just read school texts these days but I find I need to switch it up once in a while.

I just finished Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War by Mark Bowden. To sum it up it tells the real story (ahem, not the ficition portrayed in the movie) of Black Hawk Down while questioning American military actions in general. Well written and well researched in my opinion.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Well, I was reading, and paused reading Nabokov's "Lolita" and Zelazny's "Amber" series when I started to begin greek again.
Now there're documents for my job only left for reading.

Helen of Troy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helen of Troy »

The latest writer I've discovered (and that was sometime in July) was Alessandro Baricco and I'm diving into his vigorous style eversince. One may say that he allows himself too much of poetic licence, but I just enjoy his syntactic experiments and pretty unusual metaphors. If you can find it back there in America or wherever you are, I do recommend something of the following titles: La Sette, Oceano Mare, Castelli di Rabbia, etc. I can't know for sure what are the titles in English, but I can offer my translation: The Silk, Ocean Sea, The castels of Anger.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I'm currently reading the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card, next in line is a Book on NT. Text Criticism (a hobby of mine) I just picked up the other day....but since that's Greek stuff, it might not count :D

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Just finished reading Murther and Walking Spirits by Robertson Davies. I think we had a bit of a discussion previously about this wonderful Canadian author.
This is in addition to my usual diet of detective stories (too numerous to mention) and dipping into various Latin textbooks.

"Moby ****" sounds good - I haven't read this for years and might give it another run.

PS - I'm being filtered! It's the book about a whale - a big FISH not.....

Perhaps we'll call him "Moby Richard"

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Carola wrote:Perhaps we'll call him "Moby Richard"
Lol, good idea! "Moby Rick" would also do for it. :D
Those solemn nanny(oops! not PC, sorry) filters! :(

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

At the moment I'm reading "David Copperfield" for my final exams in English. The last German book I read was "Die Verwandlung" by Kafka and I will start to read "Die Physiker" and "Das Versprechen" both by Dürrenmatt for school.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I loved David Copperfield! didn't want it to end...

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

"Moby ****" sounds good - I haven't read this for years and might give it another run.

PS - I'm being filtered! It's the book about a whale - a big FISH not.....

Perhaps we'll call him "Moby Richard"
I use an asterisk for a single letter to work around filters. D*ck. Let's see if shittake mushrooms will be filtered...

[edit: Nope! :)]

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Ho Ho - I can get around it by typing "MobyDick". :lol:

Anyhow, I found the story online at Blackmask and it's even better than I remembered.

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

I loved David Copperfield! didn't want it to end...
Yes, I like it, too. :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

well, I just now finished Wuthering Heights.

My first thought upon finishing was, "what a strange little book".

Really, I quite enjoyed it. But it had the same effect on me as had The Brothers Karamazov--I am left feeling influenced so much by the warped thought patterns of the characters that I feel as though my own mind has been warped (of course, Karamazov had this effect to a much greater degree....).

I didn't much care for the style of jumping back and forth between storey-tellers. It might have been better without the extra person... but maybe she was going for originality there.

xn
Textkit Neophyte

Post by xn »

The last book that I’d finished was The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst, which I’d recommend to anyone with an interest in typography. I suspect that tax form instructions will be next on my list…

N30F15H
Textkit Neophyte

Post by N30F15H »

I listen to audio classic books, but i read lots too

im reading oooo 5, 6 books at the moment

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Ita aliqua ex causa haudquaquam videtur.

Dillman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dillman »

You guys are your always reading these classics reads....right now im reading "Reap the Wind" by Iris Johanson.....It's a Psychological Thriller and really enjoy that genre....there was i book i read awhile ago called "The Tower" it was a Psych Thriller as well and its one of my favorite books i ever read....however, i dont rember the author and im trying to find the book again and there are TOO MANY books called the tower....anyways its a book about an excaped lunitic from Alcatraz (Spelling?) and i was wondering/hoping one of you have read it and could tell me the authors name?

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

xn wrote:The last book that I’d finished was The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst, which I’d recommend to anyone with an interest in typography. I suspect that tax form instructions will be next on my list…
I do a lot of tax work - my part time job which supports my Latin and music interests - and I have come to the conclusion that the people who write tax form instructions don't have any known Earth language as their first language. An interesting subject for a linguistics expert......

:lol: :lol:

xn
Textkit Neophyte

Post by xn »

Carola: I admire your fortitude in choosing that line of work! The people who write tax form instructions are at least bilingual, as they’re doing their best to translate from the original Bureaucratonian…

xn