What's the most you've read in one day?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

What's the most you've read in one day?

Post by Alundis »

The most Latin I've read has been Genesis, chapter 24, which weighs in at 7552 characters, or two printed pages in my edition. The most classical Latin I've consumed in one day would be one of Pliny's letters to Trajan. It took me several hours, and I didn't understand all of it, even with the copious notes in Wheelock's reader, but I did find it fascinating commentary on early Christianity ;p

For comparison, in English, I read all of Chuck Yeager's autobiography in one day. Actually, it took me a little longer than a day, 26 hours, to read all 446 pages of it. I've also read both Genesis and Exodus in one day using the translation at www.netbible.com

Evito
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Evito »

I don't know, about 125 lines maybe? Ovid, Tristia.

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

I guess it was for an exam about 800 verses Latin or Greek or two little prose works like the de senectute and the de amicitia of Cicero.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Latin? I'd shudder to think, it's usually pretty slow. With English, however, I can mow through the average novel (about 250-300 pages) in a few hours. With temperatures hovering around 45C last Saturday, that's about all I did. Sat in front of the air con and alternated between translating Latin and reading books. I also have almost total concentration on what I am reading, thus blocking out very noisy car & motorbike races my dearly beloved was watching on cable TV! :D

N30F15H
Textkit Neophyte

Post by N30F15H »

Latin: less than a line

English: hmmm... 600 pages (two books)

I was bored

i couldnt see afterwards tho :P

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Slow, Reader

Post by rustymason »

"(about 250-300 pages) in a few hours. " Wow, that's really fast.

I can read that fast sometimes once I "get into a groove" reading a regular novel, but usually I read more slowly. Perhaps I'm thinking too much, or am not blocking out enough time for each reading, not allowing myself enough acceleration space.

I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings and am taking my time, savoring every passage. I've discovered many things that I missed the first time. I'm probably only reading 20-30 pages per the hour, at most, but it's very enjoyable!

The most I've ever read in one day is probably about 300 pages. One was the Amityville horror and the other was a Stephen King novel, IIRC. What a waste of time!

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

The highest I can actually remember doing is (for Greek) 1101 lines for a test on the following day.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

In English, I read Moby D ick in seven hours straight for a class. It's about 700 pages. See what procrastination drives you to?

PS- I had to put a space between the "D" and "i" above because it was getting censored: Moby ****. Funny stuff.

WB