Translation Help: "Out of Heaven"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
rgATL
Textkit Neophyte

Translation Help: "Out of Heaven"

Post by rgATL »

Hi,

I am trying to title a poem, and I thought it would be nice to do so in Latin. I want to say "Out of Heaven" (in the terms that I "walked out of Heaven"). What would you suggest?

I don't know much (or any) Latin, but I have tried to work on this on my own using some online English-Latin dictionaries. I came up with:

out of --> e
Heaven --> æther or cælum

But I'm thinking you just can't pull words out of a dictionary and it make much sense. What would the correct word endings be?

How about E Cælitus?

Also, what is the difference between æther and cælum (do they have different connotations)?

Thank you very much,
rg.

Clark3934
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Clark3934 »

"out of heaven" = e caelo

"I walked out of heaven" = e caelo ambulavi

I think these would be correct translations. This is how I would do it.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I would recommend de caelo... rather than e caelo, since it has a sense of downward movement / motion originating from great heights.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

rgATL
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rgATL »

Thank you very much!

rg.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Pronounced "day kai-lo", kai being as in kite. (At least in my dialect of English ;) )

Clark3934
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Clark3934 »

benissimus wrote:I would recommend de caelo... rather than e caelo, since it has a sense of downward movement / motion originating from great heights.
I learned de as meaning "about or concerning"...Is they way I learned correct?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Clark3934 wrote:
benissimus wrote:I would recommend de caelo... rather than e caelo, since it has a sense of downward movement / motion originating from great heights.
I learned de as meaning "about or concerning"...Is they way I learned correct?

Yes, that is absolutely right, but literally it is an idea of motion down from (often "away from"). If you go down from a mountain, you DEscend (descendo, de+scando to climb down). This meaning was probably stretched to a more figurative prepositional meaning of "concerning".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae