H & Q Unit 5 English to Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

H & Q Unit 5 English to Greek

Post by bingley »

Could someone look at these English to Greek translations please. The topics for this unit were:

1. Passive voice
2. Genitive and dative of agent
3. Substantive adjectives and articles
4. Articular infinitives

1. By sacrificing animals, men had persuaded the gods to stop wars.
[size=200] τῷ ζῷα θύειν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἐπεπείκεσαν τοὺς θεοὺς τοὺς πολέμους παύσαι.[/size]

2. The young man has been well educated by the poet in order that his excellence may be guarded.
[size=200]ὁ νεανίας τῷ ποιητῇ εὖ πεπαίδευται ὡς ἡ ἀρετὴ φυλάττηται.[/size]

3. If you had been sent by the citizens to the island sacred to the goddess in order that the men in the country might be guarded, you would not have been stationed in the marketplace.
[size=200]εἰ ἐπέμφθης εἰς τὴν νῆσον τὴν τῆς θεοῦ ἱερὰν ἵνα οἱ ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ φυλάττοιντο, οὐ ἐτάχθης ἄν ἐν τῇ ἀγορᾷ.[/size]

4. Men under the power of the bad are unjust.
[size=200]ἀδίκοι οἱ ὑπο τῇ τῶν κακῶν ἀρχῇ. [/size]

In no. 3 I put ἐπέμφθης earlier in the sentence than I might otherwise have done because I thought εἰ εἰς sounded horrible. Is that a reasonable reaction?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Hello Bingley !

I am sorry to be late, but your answers are nearly perfect, so there is no need for very quick help...

1. ἐεπείκεσαν Nice form ! It denotes a fixed situation in the past. In order to express an action having preceded another action, ἔπεισαν will be found more often.

2. I would say ἡ αρετὴ αὐτοῦ although it could be the poet's excellence as well.
About
φυλάττηται : could it be σῴζηται ?

3. (All right. One more time : Hanson & Quinn are surrealistic sentence kings)
About εἰ εἰς : I don't know, but taste can vary a lot. And the name of Circe's island was αἰαιή...

4. ἄδικοι (proparoxyton) οἱ ὑπὸ....
Here, οἱ ὑπὸ κακοῖς would maybe suffice, although it could mean "under the power of bad men"

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Skylax wrote:Hello Bingley !

I am sorry to be late, but your answers are nearly perfect, so there is no need for very quick help...
Please, do not apologise. I feel so lucky to have someone who is willing and able to look over my efforts.
1. ἐεπείκεσαν Nice form ! It denotes a fixed situation in the past. In order to express an action having preceded another action, ἔπεισαν will be found more often.

2. I would say ἡ αρετὴ αὐτοῦ although it could be the poet's excellence as well.
Do you mean that in my sentence, ἡ αρετὴ would normally be taken as referring to the poet (as the nearest noun?)? Would ἡ αρετὴ αὐτοῦ disambiguate it?
About
φυλάττηται : could it be σῴζηται ?
Yes, that does sound more probable, but without a context we'll never know. :D

Thanks again, skylax.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

bingley wrote: Do you mean that in my sentence, ἡ αρετὴ would normally be taken as referring to the poet (as the nearest noun?)? Would ἡ αρετὴ αὐτοῦ disambiguate it?
No, no. I think that without a pronoun, it would suggest "excellence" in general. With the αὐτοῦ it means "his" excellence, although it is unclear whether it refers to the poet or to the young man. But I don't see any better solution.

Notes : I forgot a π in ἐπεπείκεσαν. Moreover, I forgot to correct παύσαι which should be an optative (παύσαιμι etc.), into the infinitive παῦσαι.

χαῖρε

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Skylax wrote:Hanson & Quinn are surrealistic sentence kings
They most certainly are!!!
The exercise sentences might have been funny once, but I find them so illogical that they're a hindrance... somewhere around Unit 10 (I'm on 17 now) I stopped doing them and focused on looking at 'real' Greek by ancient authors...