Just checking M & F Unit 7

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Just checking M & F Unit 7

Post by bingley »

As there doesn't seem to be an answer key, or not one that's available to me at any rate, could someone have a quick look at this exercise for me, please? It's translating the following rather implausible sentences from English into Latin.<br /><br />What book is this which has been sent to us by our friends with whom we were walking?<br /><br /> Qui liber est hic qui nobis a amicis quibuscum ambulabamus missus est?<br /><br />The man whom you saw at that time is the sailor to whom I gave those gifts.<br /><br />Vir quem tunc vidisti est nauta cui donas illas dedi.<br /><br />For five years he hoped that he would complete this, his own work, but now he hates it.<br /><br />Quinque annos sperabat illud opus suum conficeret sed nunc id odit. <br /><br />We said that we would move five feet to the right in order that we might see your king with his queen and their sons.<br /><br />Diximus nos quinqe pedes ad dextram moturi esse ut regem vestrum cum regina et filiis videramus. <br /><br />Those wretched people not only hate themselves, but they also say that we hate them.<br /><br />Non solum illi miseri se oderunt sed etiam nos eos odisse dicerunt.<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Just checking M & F Unit 7

Post by benissimus »

<br /><br /><br />What book is this which has been sent to us by our friends with whom we were walking?<br /><br /> Qui liber est hic qui nobis a amicis quibuscum ambulabamus missus est?<br /><br /> This is correct, but "ab" can only be shortened to "a" before a consonant.<br /><br />The man whom you saw at that time is the sailor to whom I gave those gifts.<br /><br />Vir quem tunc vidisti est nauta cui donas illas dedi.<br /><br />Correct, although I believe the word is "donum" so the plural accusative would be "dona" (unless this an alternative).<br /><br />For five years he hoped that he would complete this, his own work, but now he hates it.<br /><br />Quinque annos sperabat illud opus suum conficeret sed nunc id odit. <br /><br /> Good, as far as I can tell.<br /><br />We said that we would move five feet to the right in order that we might see your king with his queen and their sons.<br /><br />Diximus nos quinqe pedes ad dextram moturi esse ut regem vestrum cum regina et filiis videramus. <br /><br /> I think it would be "moturos" instead of "moturi" since "nos" is the direct object of "diximus". "Videramus" should be "videremus" because it is just the infinitive with a present active ending on it.<br /><br />Those wretched people not only hate themselves, but they also say that we hate them.<br /><br />Non solum illi miseri se oderunt sed etiam nos eos odisse dicerunt.<br /><br />Right on 8) <br />
Last edited by benissimus on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thanks benissimus. Onward to Unit 8.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh, in the third sentence... illud should be hoc. Your sentence does make perfect sense, which is why I didn't notice, but I guess it doesn't really match the translation ::)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[sigh]

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Non solum illi miseri se oderunt sed etiam nos eos odisse dicerunt.<br /><br />not only those miserable (as noun) hate themselves (which conj is that?) but also us them ahagarrg<br /><br /><br />can someone explain this insane sentence episcopo?<br /><br />bingley nice!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

<br />Non solum illi miseri se oderunt sed etiam nos eos odisse dicerunt.<br /><br />not only those miserable (as noun) hate themselves (which conj is that?) but also us them ahagarrg<br /><br />can someone explain this insane sentence episcopo?<br /><br /><br />Sure, I'll explain it! :P<br />Adjectives without a noun imply the noun of whatever gender they are. Illi= Those men, Illud= that thing, miseri= miserable men (or "the miserable").<br /><br />Non (not) solum (only) illi (those) miseri (miserable) se (themselves) oderunt (hate) sed (but) etiam (also) nos (us) eos (themselves) odisse (to have hated) dicerunt (they said).<br />
Last edited by benissimus on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

So could one say, <br /><br />eae sunt pulchrae<br /><br />meaning eae feminae?<br /><br />thanks for help ben as always<br /> ;D

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Yes adjectives by themselves can people or things with that characteristic.<br /><br />Think English "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Good, bad, and ugly are adjectives, right?<br /><br />So Latin, "Boni, Mali, Turpesque".

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Is, Ea, Id typically do denote pronouns rather than adjectives.<br /><br />Is=he<br />Ea=she<br />Id=it<br />Ei/Ii, Eae, Ea= they

potatohog
Textkit Neophyte

Post by potatohog »

benissimus wrote:Those wretched people not only hate themselves, but they also say that we hate them.<br /><br />Non solum illi miseri se oderunt sed etiam nos eos odisse dicerunt.<br /><br />Right on 8) <br />
It should be dicunt instead of dicerunt, i believe.
Ik hou van aardappelen.