Textkit Logo

"ἦν" in John 1:1

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

"ἦν" in John 1:1

Postby uberdwayne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:52 am

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what usage the ἦν's in John 1:1 would be labeled as, I was thinking Gnomic, but appearently, a Gnomic Imperfect doesn't really exist in the NT. If this is a Customary Imperfect, how is it seen as something that extends to before "ἐν ἀρχῃ." Could it be leximatic? Johns use of ειμι rather than γινομαι? Anyway, I've been going through my syntax books, and am having trouble trying to classify these imperfects.

Note: I believe there are other passages that support a trinitarian view, however, I am not looking to start a debate; I am only looking to understand the uses of the imperfects in this particular verse.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: "ἦν" in John 1:1

Postby Bert » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:14 am

Hi Uberdwayne. Sometimes it is not very useful to put a label on a certain usage. If you understand what it means without having a name for it, you are all set. Maybe durative imperfect would be what it could be called. A verbose translation could be "...was and continues to be..."
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: "ἦν" in John 1:1

Postby Markos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:23 am

Sometimes it is not very useful to put a label on a certain usage. If you understand what it means without having a name for it, you are all set.

συμφημι δη τῳ Βερτῳ σοφῳ οντι!

{I agree 100% with the wise words of Bert!}
I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek