First edition Wheelock?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dubmdell
Textkit Neophyte

First edition Wheelock?

Post by dubmdell »

Hi,

I recently spoke with my former Latin professor, and he has gotten a wild hair to teach his Latin course in the spring with first edition Wheelock (I have no clue why). Not being tech savvy, he asked me to find him a copy. I did as much google searching as I could, but to no avail. Anyone know where to find a first edition PDF? Considering that hardcopies are not readily available, my former professor wants to email the textbook to his students to print off for themselves.

Any help is appreciated.

Sis felicior Augusto, melior Traiano

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: First edition Wheelock?

Post by adrianus »

Your professor may not know about copyright either. Wheelock died in 1987 so his work is still in copyright.
Forsit et jus auctoris ignorat iste professor. Anno millesimo nongentesimo octogesimo septimo obiit auctor in cuius operibus jus manet.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

dubmdell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dubmdell »

Oy, I just try to please.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

...by sailing into pirate waters.
...in navigando in sinum praedonum.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Venabili
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Venabili »

Why don't you ask him why he wants to use the 1st edition? If he is under the impression that it is out of copyright because of the following editions, maybe this is what needs to be explained.

As for wanting to mail the next to his students... Wheelock is as cheap as a textbook can be. Even if he finds a copy (PDF or paper), copying it to give it to the students won't be covered under the usual allowance for fair use... And besides - wasn't the first edition missing the additional texts and the self-review exercises?

dubmdell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dubmdell »

I took your advice and explained that the 1st edition is still under copyright law even though newer editions have been printed. His response was simply "Oh, well, never mind that then!" I would hazard to guess that he reasoned that, since 1st edition Pharr is in the common domain, 1st edition Wheelock would be too. (I know that the reason Pharr/ Wright is not in the common domain is because of Wright, but, out of respect for my old professor, I tend to avoid telling him that he is wrong on a matter. Despite the 10+ years I've known him and stayed at his residence for a visit, I still call him "Herr," which he prefers.)

His explanation for liking the 1st edition is that it was the best and the newer editions have watered down the material. I personally have never seen a 1st edition. I can only relate what he said and take your words for how it is lacking (in spite of my old professor's endearment to the text). He's an older fellow. I imagine he is more nostalgic for the 1st edition than anything else.

Thanks for everyone's assistance and input on this.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

dubmdell wrote:...since 1st edition Pharr is in the common domain...
Jam est prima editio istius libri sub jure auctoris, ut credo, saltem intra fines Civitatum Foederatarum Americae (et separatim corrigenda de Wright). Prima editio anno 1964 (Heath & Co., Boston) prodita est sub jure auctoris quae annos 29 manebat et capax renovandi per annos 75 post annum praeconi erat. Cum anno 1964 prodita sit, hac lex editionem afficit, Copyright Renewal Act of 1992, qua automaticè renovata est per annos 75. Ante annum 1978 orta (annum in quo lex nova sensum jurim auctoris mutavit) jus anno 2039 terminata esset. Ergo anno 1996 adhuc sub jure fuit liber ubi extenda est jus ad annos 95 post annum praeconi. Anno 2059 terminabit jus auctori ad hoc opus pertinens, puto! De hac re, Disney Corporation et societatibus similibus gratuleris.

The first edition of Pharr is still in copyright at least in the US, I would believe, and independently of any revision by Wright. The first edition was published in the US in 1964 (Heath & Co., Boston) with a first-term copyright of 28 years, renewable to 75 years from date of publication. Published in 1964, it comes under the US's Copyright Renewal Act of 1992 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_ ... ct_of_1992) so that its copyright was automatically renewed to 75 years. It was published before 1978 when US copyright was redefined to apply to the death of the author plus 70 years, so the copyright on this 1964 book was to expire in 2039 (independent of the author's lifetime). It was still in copyright, then, in 1996 when US copyright was extended to 95 years from date of publication for pre-1978 books. I reckon that the copyright on this book will expire in 2059 in the US! You can thank the Disney Corporation and suchlike for that.

Post Scriptum

Sorry, dubmdell. I see from here that the original Pharr is out of copyright. It's 1930, not 1964.
Me excusas, dubmdell. Jus auctoris illius libri de Pharr terminavit quod anno 1930 primò prodita est.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CKUh ... id&f=false