Lingua Latina per se Illustrata analogue

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Origon

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata analogue

Post by Origon »

Hi all, I was hoping to use Lingua Latina per se Illustrata in tandem with D'Ooge to cover the bulk of my initial foray into the world of learning Latin. However, until I have shown myself with an adequate outlay of time and investment in learning that I am indeed as earnest as I believe myself to be presently about learning Latin, I would prefer to restrict my learning materials to e-format... ;-)

So with this taken into account, is anyone able to recommend an alternative to Lingua Latina that holds to an inductive method of learning (& that is available in e-format)?

Additionally, or instead if any one can recommend any good readers for beginner level students I would be most grateful (though again I would prefer e-format recs.)

Thanks in anticipation of your kind help! :-)

Sarah

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lingua Latina per se Illustrata analogue

Post by ivanus »

You are not alone in your quest. I went so far as to call Pullins and ask if a PDF/eBook version was available. They do have a software version of Linuga Latina that has electronic versions of the text available (PC and Mac versions). However, the impression that I got was that this may mean that the text is readable only while running their program.

Some other options:
Recently discussed here, is an interlinear version of the Gospel of John. The first half is in latin the second half does a word for work breakdown into English: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39357

Similarly, there are English/Latin versions of the Bible available on Amazon for the Kindle and as an app for the iPhone. While not directly pedagogical, they provide a working framework for sorting out the Latin. You can at least see the English verb tenses and work backwords with Perseus or one of it's local incarnations (Diogenes - PC/Mac, Lexidum - iPhone).

There are a number of basic readers an parallel texts. The difficulty is that most don't attempt the Latin in Latin approach of Linuga Latina. The Orbis Sensualium Pictus is a wonder of a book for vocabulary and for insight into education circa 1600 but doesn't teach grammar. A number of early to intermediate readers are available but assume you have a separate grammar and access to an instructor.

Metorodorus has pulled together a rich collection of resources from google books and other other places, reviewed, summarised and recorded them as audio books here: https://sites.google.com/site/latiumredivivum/

Good Luck!

Efilzeo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Efilzeo »

How can I contact you Origon?

Origon

Post by Origon »

Sorry for the late reply, guys. Z 8)

Ivanus - thank you for such a comprehensive answer. I'll have a root through the links and see what works, but the Bible in parallel text does sound an appealing way forward. Thanks very much indeed for your help.

Efilzeo - are you not able to private message me on here?

Best wishes, S

Efilzeo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Efilzeo »

Origon wrote: Efilzeo - are you not able to private message me on here?

Best wishes, S
I did, before I could not. :P

brookter
Textkit Member

Post by brookter »

ivanus wrote:You are not alone in your quest. I went so far as to call Pullins and ask if a PDF/eBook version was available. They do have a software version of Linuga Latina that has electronic versions of the text available (PC and Mac versions). However, the impression that I got was that this may mean that the text is readable only while running their program.
In the PC version of LLPSI the text is contained in a series of .jpg and .mp3 files, which you can use without the program running. Of course, if you do so, you don't get access to the automatic correction of exercises. The software is fairly old now and looks its age.

I have a paid-for copy of the software: I've converted all the .jpgs to pdf files combined into chapters and use them in Scrivener.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »