New Pharr Group?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Pathawi
Textkit Neophyte

New Pharr Group?

Post by Pathawi »

I hope this message finds everyone well. I'd like to begin a new Pharr reading group for others, like me, who either have no prior Greek, or who are willing to put up with those who have no prior Greek, & who would like to move at a rapid clip.

Here's how I plan to learn:
I'll not be trying to memorise paradigms for production, but only for recognition. (That is, for the beginning, I'd be happy enough to look at γαίᾱ, & recognise that it's the word for 'land' or 'earth' in dual nominative, accusative, & vocative rôles, but not be able to produce the nominative dual of γαῖα.) I think that this will make things move faster, & will be more exciting, as I'll be moving more quickly into reading Homer directly. I plan to work with an SRS system at first just for recognition (up thru lesson 47), & then for cloze-deletion (thru the end of Pharr). I will use the Greek-English translation exercises, but not the English-Greek. My goal with Pharr is only to be able to read Greek: I don't need to be able to produce it. Once I've exposed myself to a lot of Homer, I'll put some energy into making sure I can produce forms properly, but I'm a believer in the language-learning research that emphasises input & deprecates output for the initial stages of learning.

That said, I'm happy to adjust what I'd like to do in order to work with a group!

My ideal would be to do one lesson of Pharr every day, starting 22 April & completing Pharr on 7 July. I think this is doable, but this isn't a race: If it feels too fast after a few days, then I'm happy to slow down. My plan is to study actively for an hour each day, & then add to that whatever time it takes to review my SRS flashcards.

After Pharr, I'd like to complete the Iliad (perhaps first looking at Owen & Godspeed's vocabulary lists to see if there's anything not present in Pharr?), & then move on to the Odyssey & Hesiod.

Is anyone interested in joining me, at least for Pharr (if not for the continuing reading)?

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: New Pharr Group?

Post by Adelheid »

Did you manage to finish Pharr by July? Took me a year and a half, way back :)

I quit reading the Iliad after book 8: too much gore, quite honestly.

I am looking for someone who would read the Odyssey with me. I finished book 1 rather quickly last year, but am utterly stuck on book 2. Would love to have someone to spar with.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl