Soloecismi mendaque?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Soloecismi mendaque?

Post by adrianus »

Please help me. Have I made mistakes in writing a Latin version of this? [I'm using only the present tense in English and Latin.]
"Introduction. QUEST is a game to help you practise your language skills. You also practise your keyboard skills, because you don't use a mouse or click anything in QUEST. Instead, you use a keyboard to type in your commands and make things happen. You can explore in and around the city and explore the woods. You can find things, learn things, and talk to people to solve problems on your quest. Because you make things happen with words, the most important thing for you is to learn commands and directions, the funny spinning icons that you find lying around. Later in the game you also find adverbs and spells to learn. To learn a spinning command that's near you, you just have to type these words, \"learn the command\". To learn spinning directions, type \"learn the directions\" when you are near a spinning directions icon. To get to something, go towards it. That's all you need to know! Everything else you discover on your quest when the story begins to form. Good luck! Have fun! Enjoy the adventure!"
Me adjuves, amabo te. Suntne soloecismi mendaque in versione latinâ? [Praesens tempus solum licet et anglicè et latiné.]
Intrōductio. INDĀGO est lūdus ad exercendum artem linguae. Et serieī malleōrum artem exercēs, cum globulō dēprimere nōn ūtāris nec usquam in scrīniō dēprimās. Magis serie malleōrum ūteris ut jussa scrībās et rēs accidere faciās. Et intrā et circum urbem et silvam explorāre potes. In indāginibus tuīs ut pensa perficiās, potes invenīre, discere, hominibus loquere. Quod vocabulīs rēs accidere facīs, magnī momentī est tē jussa dīrectiōnēsque discere,—illās īcōnēs mīrās revolventēs in vīcīnitāte dispersās. Posteā in lūdo sunt adverbia incantāmentaque quae invenienda sunt. Ut jussum revolvens et propinquum discātur, scrībe modo haec vocabula, \"Disce jussum\". Ut dīrectiōnēs revolventēs discantur, tū īcōnī propinquātus scrībe \"Disce dīrectiōnēs\". Ut alicuī propinquēs, ī adversum. Est omne quod sciendum! Relinqua reperīs in ēvolutiōnem indāginum cum fābula explicat. Bonam fortūnam! Tē oblectēs! Ut periculō fruēris!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Re: Soloecismi mendaque?

Post by Craig_Thomas »

I'm rather hopeless with newer Latin and with composition, so I can't offer much correction. Three things that stood out to me were loquere (a very active looking infinitive for a deponent verb like loquor), ad exercendum artem linguae (where I'd expect the gerundive exercendam rather than a gerund taking an object), and fruēris (which should be fruāris).

Some of your quantities look wrong to me. I would correct them to: intrōductiō, seriēī, seriē, explōrāre, vocābulīs, facis, mōmentī, lūdō, revolvēns, vocābula, ēvolūtiōnem, perīculō.

I also wonder if that should be ēvolūtiōne rather than the accusative.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Thanks, Craig, for all the errors you noticed.
Gratias tibi, Craig, de omnibus mendis animadvertis.
Craig_Thomas wrote:I also wonder if that should be ēvolūtiōne rather than the accusative.
OLD de in praepositione cum accusativo, wrote:6. As one gets into (a period), with the advance of (in exprs. denoting increase or decrease).
Intrōductiō. INDĀGO est lūdus ad artem linguae exercendam. Et seriēī malleōrum artem exercēs, cum globulō dēprimere nōn ūtāris nec usquam in scrīniō dēprimās. Magis seriē malleōrum ūteris ut jussa scrībās et rēs accidere faciās. Et intrā et circum urbem et silvam explōrāre potes. In indāginibus tuīs ut pensa perficiās, potes invenīre, discere, hominibus loquī. Quod vocabulīs rēs accidere facis, magnī mōmentī est tē jussa dīrectiōnēsque discere,—illās īcōnēs mīrās revolventēs in vīcīnitāte dispersās. Posteā in lūdō sunt adverbia incantāmentaque quae invenienda sunt. Ut jussum revolvēns et propinquum discātur, scrībe modo haec vocabula, \"Disce jussum\". Ut dīrectiōnēs revolventēs discantur, tū īcōnī propinquātus scrībe \"Disce dīrectiōnēs\". Ut alicuī propinquēs, ī adversum. Est omne quod sciendum! Relinqua reperīs in ēvolūtiōnem indāginum cum fābula explicat. Bonam fortūnam! Tē oblectēs! Ut perīculō fruāris!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivanus »

I'm rather daunted by the level of Latin I would need to play the game. I felt the same way about Schola when I first saw it and took the view that if I can't figure out how to log in, I'm probably not ready to play. That's one reason why I ended up in these forums, actually. Out of curiosity, what is your target audience? How much Latin do you expect them to know at the outset?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I'm trying to create a game that is as intuitive as possible, that can also be played by a blind player. The English language version is testing successfully so far. My target audience for the Latin version, Ivanus, is a novice learner who can use a dictionary and can conjugate verbs in the present tense and decline nouns,—a player with two school-years' experience of Latin. Note that it will not be necessary to read the Introduction in Latin to progress in the game. The game is still, however, a linguistic challenge.

Ludum quam intuitivissimum et caecis et non caecis lusoribus aptum scribere conor. De versione anglicâ, adhuc bona sunt responsa in ludo probando. Discipulo tironi per duos annos linguae perito, qui capax est nominum et verborum in tempore praesenti declinandorum et in dictionarium inquirendi, latina versio ludi mei destinatur. Non strictim necesse est introductionem latinè legi ut in ludo progrediaris, Ivane, nota. Magnum autem arduum in arte linguae manet ludus.

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Post by Craig_Thomas »

INDĀGŌ

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

iterum gratias!