Appropriate ages for "So You Really Want to Learn Latin"?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
nedibes
Textkit Neophyte

Appropriate ages for "So You Really Want to Learn Latin"?

Post by nedibes »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with "So You Really Want to Learn Latin" and could tell me what ages it might be appropriate for? The only info I've been able to find is a review saying that it is appropriate for all ages, but does this really mean it could be used to teach kindergartners?

A little background: I'm currently editing an article on teaching Latin in homeschools, for publication in an online journal about pedagogy of classical languages (I'm assistant editor of the journal, not the author). The article includes a section with reviews of texts used by actual homeschoolers. I'd like to classify these by grade level-appropriateness, and this is one of the few without information on this topic. I don't need an exact official recommendation, just a general idea of the youngest level it would be appropriate for (I can tell it can be used by adults). For example, Kindergarten and up, or solid readers (4th grade or so) and up, etc.

On the same topic, has anyone ever heard of a Latin textbook or learn-at-home program called "Bella Italia"? I can't find this one at all.

Thanks very much for any advice at all!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Appropriate ages for "So You Really Want to Learn Latin"

Post by adrianus »

If I knew of these books, nebides, I would have said something. I guess we're all in the same boat here.

Si istos libros novissem, nebide, dixissem. Ipsissimum hîc aliis sodalibus, id videtur.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.