Latin Help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jpago
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Help

Post by jpago »

Hello All,

I am a college senior looking to satisfy a language credit. My graduation time is ticking and with classical languages it is 2 semesters vs 4 for a modern foreign language.

I enjoy the historical and nuances of Latin. It is crushing me, I have a high F in the class. I have a great teacher who I am working with and now going to tutoring. I have never had issues in classes and maintained good grades in a very demanding college. I am so at a loss I dread class now to a degree and I worry about graduating. I have no idea to even approach anything anymore.

I was hoping for studying methods and techniques that has worked for any of you. For reference I am using Wheelocks Latin.

Thank you.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin Help

Post by thesaurus »

Can you give some examples of the sorts of things that you get marked down for in class? Are there concepts you don't understand, or think you understand, but then get wrong on tests? If you are in fact studying/doing your homework (which it sounds like you are), what seems to be tripping you up?

I've taught first year Latin at a university, so I'm familiar with some of the common problems students run into. I also learned the basics of the language with Wheelock (I taught using a different book).
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute