about et

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

about et

Post by Junya »

Hi.

Can et mean namely ?
L&S
II. In partic.
A. To subjoin a word or phrase which more accurately defines or more briefly comprehends what goes before, and indeed, and moreover, and that too
From this II.A., you could perhaps find a possibility of namely,
but I couldn't find a sample sentence that proves it.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: about et

Post by adrianus »

Junya wrote:Can et mean namely...From this II.A., you could perhaps find a possibility of namely...
I think it's a subtle question but in my opinion "et" will not mean "namely" since "namely" does not mean "and moreover" or "and indeed" or "and that too".
Subtilius quod rogas et ego istam possibilitatem negem cum non includatur sensum quaesitum, "enim" seu "scilicet" enim (!), in traductionibus anglicis citatis.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: about et

Post by Junya »

Thank you Adrianus. :)
I faintly remember I have seen in a Greek-English dictionary that kai (=and) was explained as meaning namely, or explained like the above quotation from L&S.
I try questioning about it on the Greek forum.