Textkit Logo

H & Q Unit 5 English to Greek

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

H & Q Unit 5 English to Greek

Postby bingley » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:15 am

Could someone look at these English to Greek translations please. The topics for this unit were:

1. Passive voice
2. Genitive and dative of agent
3. Substantive adjectives and articles
4. Articular infinitives

1. By sacrificing animals, men had persuaded the gods to stop wars.
[face=SPIonic] tw|= zw|=a qu/ein oi( a)/nqrwpoi e)pepei/kesan tou\j qeou\j tou\j pole/mouj pau/sai. [/face]

2. The young man has been well educated by the poet in order that his excellence may be guarded.
[face=SPIonic] o( neani/aj tw|= poihth|= eu=) pepai/deutai w(j h9 a)reth\ fula/tthtai. [/face]

3. If you had been sent by the citizens to the island sacred to the goddess in order that the men in the country might be guarded, you would not have been stationed in the marketplace.
[face=SPIonic] ei) e)pe/mfqhj ei)j th\n nh=son th\n th=j qeou= i(era\n i(/na oi( e)n th|= xw/ra| fula/ttointo,
ou) e)ta/xqhj a)/n e)n th|= a)gora|=.
[/face]

4. Men under the power of the bad are unjust.
[face=SPIonic] a)di/koi oi( u(po th|= tw=n kakw=n a)rxh|=.
[/face]

In no. 3 I put [face=SPIonic]e)pe/mfqhj [/face] earlier in the sentence than I might otherwise have done because I thought [face=SPIonic]ei) ei)j [/face] sounded horrible. Is that a reasonable reaction?
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:33 pm

Hello Bingley !

I am sorry to be late, but your answers are nearly perfect, so there is no need for very quick help...

1. [face=SPIonic]e)epei/kesan[/face] Nice form ! It denotes a fixed situation in the past. In order to express an action having preceded another action, [face=SPIonic]e)/peisan[/face] will be found more often.

2. I would say [face=SPIonic]h( areth\ au)tou=[/face] although it could be the poet's excellence as well.
About
[face=SPIonic]fula/tthtai[/face] : could it be [face=SPIonic]sw/|zhtai[/face] ?

3. (All right. One more time : Hanson & Quinn are surrealistic sentence kings)
About [face=SPIonic]ei) ei)j[/face] : I don't know, but taste can vary a lot. And the name of Circe's island was [face=SPIonic]Ai)aih/[/face]...

4. [face=SPIonic]a)/dikoi[/face] (proparoxyton) [face=SPIonic]oi( u(po\...[/face].
Here, [face=SPIonic]oi( u(po\ kakoi=j[/face] would maybe suffice, although it could mean "under the power of bad men"
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby bingley » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:07 am

Skylax wrote:Hello Bingley !

I am sorry to be late, but your answers are nearly perfect, so there is no need for very quick help...

Please, do not apologise. I feel so lucky to have someone who is willing and able to look over my efforts.
1. [face=SPIonic]e)epei/kesan[/face] Nice form ! It denotes a fixed situation in the past. In order to express an action having preceded another action, [face=SPIonic]e)/peisan[/face] will be found more often.

2. I would say [face=SPIonic]h( areth\ au)tou=[/face] although it could be the poet's excellence as well.

Do you mean that in my sentence, [face=SPIonic]h( areth\ [/face]would normally be taken as referring to the poet (as the nearest noun?)? Would [face=SPIonic]h( areth\ au)tou=[/face] disambiguate it?
About
[face=SPIonic]fula/tthtai[/face] : could it be [face=SPIonic]sw/|zhtai[/face] ?

Yes, that does sound more probable, but without a context we'll never know. :D

Thanks again, skylax.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:35 am

bingley wrote: Do you mean that in my sentence, [face=SPIonic]h( areth\ [/face]would normally be taken as referring to the poet (as the nearest noun?)? Would [face=SPIonic]h( areth\ au)tou=[/face] disambiguate it?

No, no. I think that without a pronoun, it would suggest "excellence" in general. With the [face=SPIonic]au)tou=[/face] it means "his" excellence, although it is unclear whether it refers to the poet or to the young man. But I don't see any better solution.

Notes : I forgot a [face=SPIonic]p[/face] in [face=SPIonic]e)pepei/kesan[/face]. Moreover, I forgot to correct [face=SPIonic]pau/sai[/face] which should be an optative ([face=SPIonic]pau/saimi[/face] etc.), into the infinitive [face=SPIonic]pau=sai[/face].

[face=SPIonic]xai=re[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Raya » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:53 pm

Skylax wrote:Hanson & Quinn are surrealistic sentence kings

They most certainly are!!!
The exercise sentences might have been funny once, but I find them so illogical that they're a hindrance... somewhere around Unit 10 (I'm on 17 now) I stopped doing them and focused on looking at 'real' Greek by ancient authors...
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek