greek fonts followup

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

greek fonts followup

Post by klewlis »

Well I promised to show you guys what I was doing with all those greek fonts a few weeks ago. I ended up hand-drawing it anyway, and then Johnny (the artist) fleshed them out--for my first tattoo! :)

In case you're wondering, it's a quote from 1 Cor 15:10 and the o is a relative pronoun, not an article (lest I be accused of blasphemy... lol).

What think ye?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Tattoo! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cool, but I didn't imagine it was for tattoo!

And you did a good job of handwriting!

But, well, I think the phrase is a secret code of gnostic idea. To say, the rephrasing of Ex 3:14, "I am that I am"
אהיה אשר אהיה

;)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

would make a good avatar!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: greek fonts followup

Post by annis »

klewlis wrote:What think ye?
Very nice.

Be careful! You'll be planning the next one before this one has healed.

Also, there will be a few months of sudden shock when around mirrors, as your brain comes to terms with this change in the body. Especially early in the morning (for me at least) I sometimes had a "oh my god what is that get it off!" moments a second or two before I remembered I'd gotten a tattoo there. :)

I love when tattoo art moved away from outlining everything. The resist ichthys is a nice approach to that image.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

mingshey wrote:But, well, I think the phrase is a secret code of gnostic idea. To say, the rephrasing of Ex 3:14, "I am that I am"
lol

I debated long and hard about whether to include the accents, which would have made this more clear. But they seemed to clutter it up too much and take away from the simplicity... so I left them out. Most people who see it won't know the difference anyway. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

annis wrote:
Very nice.

Be careful! You'll be planning the next one before this one has healed.

Also, there will be a few months of sudden shock when around mirrors, as your brain comes to terms with this change in the body. Especially early in the morning (for me at least) I sometimes had a "oh my god what is that get it off!" moments a second or two before I remembered I'd gotten a tattoo there. :)

I love when tattoo art moved away from outlining everything. The resist ichthys is a nice approach to that image.
yes, everyone tells me that tattoos are an addiction, so I will have to be careful. Now that I am not afraid of the process anymore, it would be a lot easier to think about getting another one... but I think it will be a long while before that happens!

Fortunately, since it's on my back I can't see it unless I'm looking for it, so I haven't had that moment of shock yet.

It was Johnny's idea to invert the fish, and I like it a lot that way.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I've seen a girl with a tattoo on her upper arm. It was a big chinese letter that means "woman". It was odd because I'm grown up in the cultural area that heavily uses chinese characters, and the first thought I had was, "Er, she's worried that the easterners might not recognize her as a woman?(She was pretty, so it doubled the curiosity)" and the second thought is "Or was she claiming she's a genuin woman?(That sounds fit because you often see transgenders.), or conversely, she might be a transgender who' extremely glad at last he(she) is a woman".

So, think a lot when you get the next tattoo, ;)

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Well, I suppose if she was ever murdered and dismembered the label might save the local detectives some time.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

klewlis wrote:It was Johnny's idea to invert the fish, and I like it a lot that way.
By the way, the vesica piscis is an interesting symbol. Pythagoras considered 153 a sacred number because 153:265 was the proportion of the figure vesica piscis. 153 was the number of fishes Peter catched when he cast the net according to the command of Jesus(Curious that they bothered to count the fishes, as in the episode of Pythagoras). And the ratio was a minimal ratio of whole numbers very close to the square root of 3. It is also full of numerological symbols for the episode in John 21.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

mingshey wrote:I've seen a girl with a tattoo on her upper arm. It was a big chinese letter that means "woman".
NB:

Be careful when getting tattoos in languages you don't understand. I read recently of a Japanese tattoo artist who turned out to be quite a racist. When one white woman requested a tattoo saying "Princess" in Japanese on her shoulder, she got one that said "Prostitute" instead. She walked around with it showing for a long time without knowing what it really said. Likewise, another woman got a tattoo on her stomach which, unbeknownst to her, said "Insert Kung Pao chicken here". She didn't realize what it said until one day when she wore a midriff shirt into a Chinese restaurant.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Lex wrote:Likewise, another woman got a tattoo on her stomach which, unbeknownst to her, said "Insert Kung Pao chicken here". She didn't realize what it said until one day when she wore a midriff shirt into a Chinese restaurant.
As much as I would love for this story to be true, the news story that made this famous is a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/roundup.asp and http://www.snopes.com/risque/hookers/medal.htm
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

annis wrote:
Lex wrote:Likewise, another woman got a tattoo on her stomach which, unbeknownst to her, said "Insert Kung Pao chicken here". She didn't realize what it said until one day when she wore a midriff shirt into a Chinese restaurant.
As much as I would love for this story to be true, the news story that made this famous is a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/roundup.asp and http://www.snopes.com/risque/hookers/medal.htm
Well.... color me embarassesd. :oops:

But the moral of the story remains the same. I still wouldn't get a tattoo without being 100% sure what it says.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

fortunately, I'm quite sure about mine. :)

It bugs me when people get tattoos in other languages because they just think it looks cool and have no idea about the language at all. Especially when they end up with "typos" and have no idea that anything's wrong. The least you can do is make sure you have it right, since it's PERMANENT. geez.

:P

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

klewlis wrote:fortunately, I'm quite sure about mine. :)
I did not mean to imply otherwise.
klewlis wrote:It bugs me when people get tattoos in other languages because they just think it looks cool and have no idea about the language at all. Especially when they end up with "typos" and have no idea that anything's wrong. The least you can do is make sure you have it right, since it's PERMANENT. geez.

:P
Yeah. Unfortunately, mistaken Internet posts appear to be permanent, too. :oops: :wink:

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Lex wrote:
klewlis wrote:fortunately, I'm quite sure about mine. :)
I did not mean to imply otherwise.
I know! no worries! :)