D'Ooge Ex 40

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
mariek
Global Moderator

D'Ooge Ex 40

Post by mariek »

I have a question on Page 19, Exercise 40, #6.<br /><br />Translate the questions and answer them in Latin.<br />#6. Cuius filiae laborant?<br /><br />I think the question translates to : whose daughter labors?<br />And I think the answer is : Filia agricolae laborat. (The farmer's daughter labors)<br /><br />Have I mistranslated the question?<br /><br />I'm thrown off by the "filiae" in the question because doesn't that mean "daughters" plural?<br />

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Re:D'Ooge Ex 40

Post by Koala »

you're right of course<br />daughters and work are both plural<br />so... whose daughters are working

jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

Hello. It says that "The answers may be found in the exercises preceding". There are two relevant sentences from the exercises. "The farmers' daughters do labor" or "the farmer's daughter labors". If it was the second, daughter, being the subject, would be filia in the question. As it is filiae, assume it's daughters (plural), referring to the first sentence, farmers' daughters do labor.<br /><br />So the answer would probably be "Filiae agricolarum laborant". (Also in your answer filiae and laborant should stay the same, not changed to filia and laborat).<br /><br />Of course I don't know much more than you. Blind leading the blind, eh? :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

#6. Cuius filiae laborant?<br /><br />D'oh ! You're right of course, I should have read the question more carefully. But it makes sense now. "filiae" and "laborant" are both PLURAL ! That should have registered. And I shouldn't arbitrarily change plural to singular. Grr... I can kick myself now. :-[<br /><br />So the question translates to : Whose daughters do labor ?<br /><br />And the answer would be the other one : Filiae agricolarum laborant. (The farmers' daughters do labor)<br /><br />I think I was trying to do something weird ... grasping at the other possible answer, "the farmer's daughter labors" and trying to get the question and answer to fit that.<br />