Funny question concerning Seneca...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Funny question concerning Seneca...

Post by benissimus »

This is sort of rude but the passage from the Apocolocyntosis that Wheelock added for some silly reason. It goes:
Ultima vox eius haec inter homines audita est, cum maiorem sonitum emisisset illa parte qua facilius loquebatur: "Vae me, puto, concacavi." Quod an fecerit, nescio - omnia certe concacavit!
I understand what it means but I am unsure about the qua. "He had sent out a sound from that part from which he easily spoke..."? Is that what it really means, that he spoke from his rear? Or perhaps it is qua (re) and so he spoke because of the noise to excuse himself?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hehehe... I think it's the first one
He had sent out a sound from that part from which he easily spoke...
qua re... well in that case re would be an important word for the meaning of the sentence, and they only leave away words the think are unnecessary. And seeing as he has just **** himself...
Maybe he added the passage to let you know Romans didn't mind being rude?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ah well... seems like the translation of this sentence can't be posted here because of the profanity filter :lol: .

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

shat himself?

MickeyV
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MickeyV »

Actually, "illa parte" as well as "qua" seem locative. Therefore, it appears to mean:"..., after a rather loud sound was emitted there where he (habitually) talked more easily."

As to the question whether something of obscene nature is referred to: no clue. :)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

It seems the profanity filter only attacks me... :cry:
Lol, I wonder why?