Textkit Logo

histekei

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

histekei

Postby mingshey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:54 am

I was reading the first part of an NT book just for whim. To see how far I can go before I get knocked down. :)
John 1:35

[face=SPIonic]Th=? e)pau/rion pa/lin i(sth/kei )Iwa/nhj kai\ e)k tw=n maqhtw=n au)tou= du/o,[/face]

Attic pluperfect, 3rd. sg. of [face=SPIonic]i(/sthmi[/face] is [face=SPIonic]ei(sth/kei[/face]. Perseus has no morphological link for this occurrence. Is it a common variation in koine?
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:01 am

Mine reads [face=SPIonic]ei(sth/kei[/face]
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:08 am

Er, a Perseus typo? :shock:

P.S.
Hmm, yes the other online versions read [face=SPIonic]ei(sth/kei[/face], too. :? :D
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:18 am

NA27 also says [face=SPIonic]ei(sthkei[/face]
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:40 am

I wondered what NA27 meant. Now I see it stands for Nestle-Aland(i.e. their Novum Testamentum Graece), which I keep a copy of. I'll be checking it out when I go home. I find a quote of NA26, too, on the web. The numbers must be representing different editions.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:38 am

The perseus has an Westcott and Hort edition of NT. And another site that presents this edition has [face=SPIonic]ei(sth/kei[/face], too.
Definitely a typo. I'll be reporting this to Perseus. :? :D
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:35 pm

yes, the numbers represent editions, and 27 is the latest... it's about... 3 years old? 4? I'm not sure. :)

yay for finding a typo in perseus! that deserves an award or something. A friend of mine thought that he found a typo in NA27 once and was all excited... but when we researched it further we found that it wasn't a typo afterall... he was pretty disheartened. lol.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek