histekei

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

histekei

Post by mingshey »

I was reading the first part of an NT book just for whim. To see how far I can go before I get knocked down. :)
John 1:35

τῆ? ἐπαύριον πάλιν [b]ἱστήκει[/b] )ιωάνης καὶ ἐκ τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ δύο,

Attic pluperfect, 3rd. sg. of ἵστημι is εἱστήκει. Perseus has no morphological link for this occurrence. Is it a common variation in koine?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Mine reads εἱστήκει

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Er, a Perseus typo? :shock:

P.S.
Hmm, yes the other online versions read εἱστήκει, too. :? :D
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

NA27 also says [size=150]εἱστηκει[/size]
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I wondered what NA27 meant. Now I see it stands for Nestle-Aland(i.e. their Novum Testamentum Graece), which I keep a copy of. I'll be checking it out when I go home. I find a quote of NA26, too, on the web. The numbers must be representing different editions.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

The perseus has an Westcott and Hort edition of NT. And another site that presents this edition has εἱστήκει, too.
Definitely a typo. I'll be reporting this to Perseus. :? :D

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yes, the numbers represent editions, and 27 is the latest... it's about... 3 years old? 4? I'm not sure. :)

yay for finding a typo in perseus! that deserves an award or something. A friend of mine thought that he found a typo in NA27 once and was all excited... but when we researched it further we found that it wasn't a typo afterall... he was pretty disheartened. lol.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus