Spoken Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Gaius
Textkit Neophyte

Spoken Latin

Post by Gaius »

Salve,

I just ordered "Polis" which is a book that attempts to teach Greek through speaking. I have had instruction and reading courses in Greek and Latin, but would like to become more fluent. Is there a similar course for Latin? I saw there is a Rosetta Stone, but I doubt that is of the same caliber as a grammar-based, oral Latin course.

Multas gratias vobis ago,
Gaius

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Spoken Latin

Post by bedwere »

I think that Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae is the best.

Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae
Page in English

It uses the Italian/ecclesiastic pronunciation.

Gaius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius »

Bedwere,

Thank you for the link. The Cursus looks promising. Have you tried the Bolchazy Carducci Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency? That text seems to be more idiomatic, but I haven't worked through it.

Gratias tibi ago,
Zach

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I saw it, but I haven't used it, Zach.

Vale!

RL

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I was wondering if anyone knows the method advanced by Clément Desessard and used by the Schola Latina Universalis.

That is (or was) the method used by the Assimil-courses. The French Assimil-course for Latin now uses a different sort of book, but the Italian site still offers the Desessard's version (with Italian text for the grammar), although at quite a hefty price. Well, at least the Audio-CDs seem to contain the dialogues not only in the ecclesiastical pronunciation (yuck!) but also in the reconstructed version.

Has anyone used this method?

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

gerases
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gerases »

Has anyone used this method?
Yes, I used it at Schola Latina Universalis. It's not bad, but I doubt one will speak great Latin after following through with it. Much is needed to speak I think. I never finished the course, but I went through the book almost completely. I don't know if there's one book that will do the job completely. Only through lots of reading and a good grammar can it be done I think.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Post by metrodorus »

Plenty of people here have used Adler....as far as I know, the publishers of the old Assimil course have not given permission for the material to be used.
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

Gaius wrote:Bedwere,

Thank you for the link. The Cursus looks promising. Have you tried the Bolchazy Carducci Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency? That text seems to be more idiomatic, but I haven't worked through it.

Gratias tibi ago,
Zach
Think of Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency as more of a phrasebook. It has three set dialogs per chapter followed by a topical glossary (if memory serves). It's an interesting book, though I'd not class it as a properly useful textbook.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I have the book, Conversational Latin. I think it's well written and well structured. Its subtitle is "Phrase Book and Dictionary". I find it very useful for conversational Latin. I'm glad I bought it. Not everyone wants to learn conversational latin and I don't teach Latin but imagine it as a very useful classroom resource, as Lingua Latina is a useful resource. It (Conversational Latin) belongs to a core set of books that I often refer to. I also have Piper Salve: Cursus Vivae Latinitatis (1992-98) and refer to that book less often, partly because vowel lengths and stress aren't marked in Piper Salve but they are in Conversational Latin and I think that of vital importance.

Hunc librum, scilicet Conversational Latin, habeo et eum bene scriptum bene compositum esse considero. "Phrase Book and Dictionary" subtitulum est. Perutilis mihi est et emptio laeta. Sunt ei quibus non curae est viva latinitas, porrò eandem non doceo (nec capax ego). Credo autem et utilis ut instrumentum pergulae est liber unâ cum aliis ut illo de Orberg. Alius liber ei similis est Piper Salve: Cursus Vivae Latinitatis (1992-98) quem et teneo, at minùs utilis ille quod carent notae vis vocalumque longarum quae magni momenti his rebus sunt, ut opinor.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Gaius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius »

multas gratias vobis ago!

There have been a lot of replies; thank you for the discussion and resources.

Adriane--you prefer learning with macrons? Or you just like it as a resource for a correct pronunciation? I found macrons to be an obstacle after learning Latin from the OLC and then going into readings. The OLC was easy reading with the markings, so I never fully learned which words had long e's, a's or i's.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Gaius wrote:Adriane--you prefer learning with macrons? Or you just like it as a resource for a correct pronunciation? I found macrons to be an obstacle after learning Latin from the OLC and then going into readings.
I think books for learners (for me as a learner) on conversational Latin are better with macrons marked, Gaius, because macrons are guides to pronunciation.
Si latinè loqui vis, praeferendi, ut opinor, Gai, sunt libri ad usum tironum (in quorum numero sum) in quibus nota sunt signa macrona, quod curam recti loquendi augent macrona.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Gaius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius »

Mea culpa, Adriane. I was thinking of my transition in reading from a macron-filled grammar to unmarked literature, which I found particularly difficult when I got into poetry. Macrons will definitely be helpful in speaking. Thank you for recommending the text.