Another Fine Mess

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ORabbit
Textkit Neophyte

Another Fine Mess

Post by ORabbit »

Hello!

I'm working on a t-shirt design which requires a Latin translation of "Another Fine Mess", Oliver Hardy's famous catchphrase.

I came up with "Alia Calamitas Eximia". It's been 17 years since I thought about translating Latin, so I'm not sure about my word choices or word order. Am I on the right track? I'm pretty sure my grammar is right. I think nominative case is correct, yes?

TIA for your help!

ORabbit
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Another Fine Mess

Post by ORabbit »

bump

I posted this over 2 weeks ago, but it just got approved.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

That seems correct, as far as the grammar goes. But it's going to be difficult or impossible to convey the same tone that the English quotation has. Alia calamitas eximia could just as well mean, "Another outstanding disaster."

To put it another way, no matter how you translate it in Latin, probably no one is going to read it and think, "Oh, that means 'Another fine mess,' like the Oliver Hardy saying."
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

ORabbit
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ORabbit »

Thanks for the reply. I feel that "outstanding disaster" or "choice catastrophe" is close enough to the intent of the original phrase. Works for me! Thanks for verifying my grammar.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

ORabbit wrote:I came up with "Alia Calamitas Eximia"...I think nominative case is correct, yes?
If you want the phrase exclamatory, write the accusative instead:
Si emphasim seu vim isti clausulae des, magìs accusativo casu scribe:

"Aliam calamitatem eximiam!"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

sunhawk43
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sunhawk43 »

I did not understand the the Oliver Hardy saying." Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?
until I found it with an explanation in an article at Classical Latin? - JC McKeown's: http://www.jcmckeown.com/fintro1.php?PH ... 07b111f256

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I finally see what you mean, Sunhawk43. Damoetas wrote above:
Demùm capio, Sunhawk43. Scripsit suprà Damoetas:
To put it another way, no matter how you translate it in Latin, probably no one is going to read it and think, "Oh, that means 'Another fine mess,' like the Oliver Hardy saying."
---------------------
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?
Damoetas didn't mean "dic mihi..." was a saying of Oliver Hardy. It's Damoetas's epithetical saying, appended to all his posts.

Iste non voluit dicere hoc: "Dic mihi " et sequentes dictum esse de Oliver Hardy. Id epitheton Damoetae est ad omnes epistulas appenditum.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.