Textkit Logo

Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Postby annis » Tue May 06, 2003 2:59 pm

I've heard rumors about this for a while. Apparently, it's true:<br /><br />(From the Bloomsbury web site, H.P. faq).<br /><br />
<br />When are the Latin, Welsh, Ancient Greek and Irish editions coming out?<br /><br />Latin and Welsh editions will be published by Bloomsbury in July 2003. Ancient Greek will be published in July 2004. The Irish edition is also planned for 2004. Translators for all these book have already been commissioned.<br />
<br /><br />I've avoided the books so far. I'd get the Greek one, though.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=12]eu)tu/xete[/face][/size]
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Postby Elucubrator » Tue May 06, 2003 3:55 pm

My brother and my girlfriend have been trying to get me to read Harry Potter for so long, and I have always resisted, saying that I would do so when I had children, but when I heard it was coming out in Latin and in Ancient Greek I told them that, "now I might have a real reason to read it." ;D<br /><br />Is there anyone here who has read the Potter books in English that can say something more about them?<br /><br />-S<br />
Elucubrator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Milito » Tue May 06, 2003 5:09 pm

I've read them in English, and really have enjoyed them. They tell a good story well, don't take themselves too seriously, and are generally good fun.<br /><br />I actually got one of them in German to assist in learning to read that language......<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Raya » Thu May 08, 2003 7:04 am

*shrugs* It's a nice escape from reality... a few puzzles witihin for the reader (e.g. deciphering the inscription on the mirror of Erised), but not something I'd reread. My younger sister adores it though...
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby auctor » Fri May 09, 2003 1:46 pm

Definitely worth reading one book, just to give 'em a fair crack of the whip. I did and have gone on to read all of them - a thoroughly enjoyable waste of time . But we all need things like that occasionally!<br /><br />Go for it!<br />Paul<br /><br />
auctor
Textkit Member

Postby vinobrien » Fri May 09, 2003 3:52 pm

I must also confess to having read them all. <br /><br />There is a perversity in book marketing which has meant that adult fiction has dummed down to the "Does my bum look big in this?" level while conversely there is a sudden surge in real literature which is marketed at children - might I recommend Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series or Eoin Colfer's wonderful Artemis Fowl books. When are these going into Latin or Greek? Was there ever a classical equivalent? O tempora etc.
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby Erica » Thu May 15, 2003 1:45 am

Gosh, I have to say I did not read the books in English, but my nephews literally cannot stop talking about them...the one nephew read the current volumes out over his Christmas break and my support is behind them at this point because large numbers of children are actually reading these books and can't wait for more -- in this day and age it is great that they are not just "replaced" by the attitude "I'll wait for the film", instead they are mini-critics making sure the film measures up to the book!<br />For my part, I'm glad they are translating them, but I'm just trying to get a more traditional reading list in order at this point, although in the future I may have a bit of time to check them out.<br />E
phpbb
Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Postby annis » Thu May 15, 2003 12:35 pm

I just put in my pre-order for the Latin edition.<br /><br />I figure this will be better motivation to learn Latin than Caesar. :)
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Raya » Mon May 19, 2003 12:11 pm

To those of you who refuse to read Harry Potter until it comes out in classical languages:<br />Hmm... well, my own reason for wanting to study G&L is so that I make up my own mind about the Classical authors - knowing how much translation can change, even corrupt, a piece of writing. That would apply to translating HP into G&L as much as it does to translating Homer into English - something of the original will inevitably be lost, so I'd rather read any work in the original - which would mean Harry Potter in English, thank you very much!<br /><br />Mind you, I still find the thought that G&L translations are coming out to be most amusing... ;D<br /><br />To Vinobrien<br />I agree, Vinobrien: it's almost as though adult literature cannot show imagination...<br /><br />I enjoyed Artemis Fowl, too - and I'm glad that for once they didn't portray the genius stereotypically! And did you go through and decipher the arcane-fairy-script at the bottom of the pages in the second book? (Didn't have time before I had to return the book, myself...)
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby vinobrien » Tue May 20, 2003 11:10 am

I did notice on the shelves as I left home this morning<br /><br />Ursus nomine Paddington<br />Asterix Gallus<br />Caesaris Bellum Helveticum (in comic book form)<br /><br />I suspect the Harry Potter will end up next to them...<br /><br />By the way, I also have a CD by a man called Doctor Ammond which was given to me by a friend in Finnland. It consists of rock 'n' roll classics sung in Latin - ursus Taddeus; quate, crepa, rota; even nunc hic aut nunquam.
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby Raya » Tue May 20, 2003 6:53 pm

Paddington Bear in Latin?!!? :o No waaaay!<br /><br />Hahaha - well, why not? As for Asterix, there's a sense in which it *belongs* in Latin...
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby Elucubrator » Wed May 21, 2003 12:30 am

I used to have Asterix Gallus (the Latin one) and 'Asteri/kioj e0n 'Olumpi/a| (the one in Ancient Greek), until they were stolen from me. :'(<br /><br />-S.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby vinobrien » Wed May 21, 2003 10:30 am

There are quite a few of these on the market - Winnie ille Pu and domus anguli Puensis seem to be out of print in the UK but I gather that, following a recent film version in the original language, quomodo invidiosulus nomine Grinchus Christi Natalem abrogaverit is now available.<br /><br />I've tried to find the Greek versions of Asterix (seemingly only available in Germany) and of Alix (a French comic) but, without importing them at some expense from elsewhere, it seems impossible. I'll just have to look out for them on my travels.
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby Milito » Wed May 21, 2003 1:50 pm

I have "Grinchus", which I found in a bookstore a few years ago, and "Pu" (a gift from my brother and sister-in-law) at home. Said (very resourceful) brother and sister-in-law also found a book/CD by Sandra Boynton (I think) and others called "Grunt: Pigorian Chant" - the CD is in Gregorian-chant-style music, and the book is the "libretto", so to speak. It discusses the daily lives of the farmyard animals and the farmer, all of whom speak in Latin, except for the pigs, who speak in pig-Latin (of course). It's very amusing to read along with, and the music's actually pretty good. There is something very appealing about ducks responding to almost anything with "Quaquamodo". I've seen it now and again in larger record-stores, too.<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Lex » Wed May 21, 2003 3:55 pm

[quote author=vinobrien link=board=6;threadid=94;start=0#570 date=1053513057]<br />There are quite a few of these on the market - Winnie ille Pu and domus anguli Puensis seem to be out of print in the UK but I gather that, following a recent film version in the original language, quomodo invidiosulus nomine Grinchus Christi Natalem abrogaverit is now available.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I recently found and bought a copy of Winnie ille Pu Semper Ludet, which is The House on Pooh Corner with the title very roughly translated. It was at the discount book store, so I picked it up for a few bucks, hardcover.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Mr Men and Little Miss

Postby Zeus the Goddess » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:31 am

I want to see the Mr. Men and Little Miss series in Latin!!!!!!!!!! That would just make my day! ;D ;D ;D
phpbb
Zeus the Goddess
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Mr Men and Little Miss

Postby Raya » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:09 am

I want to see the Mr. Men and Little Miss series in Latin!!!!!
<br /><br />Now if they ever come out with that, I'm taking up Latin! I wonder if they'd be any good in classical Greek...
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby Episcopus » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:38 pm

Indeed!<br /><br />http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3527656120&category=20045<br /><br />I wish for the day I may be able to read the Latin book !!!<br /><br />Hahhahahah! Harrius Potter! Are they serii?
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby vinobrien » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:18 am

Just to let you all know that Harrius Potter et Phiosophi Lapis comes out on July 7th and can be pre-ordered on the Bloomsbury site or on Amazon. They are still promising the Ancient Greek version for next year.<br /><br /> 'Dominus et Domina Dursley, qui vivebant in aedibus Gestationis Ligustrorum numero quattuor signatis...' ;D
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby elys » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:38 pm

Hi, <br /><br />I have today the 27/6/03 got my copy of Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis translated by Peter Needham ISBN 0-7475-6196-6.<br /><br />I like to know one think! Why has Peter Needham not translated "Potter" into Latin? I would have thought that "figulus" will do very well! <br /><br />Any comments anyone!<br /><br />Andrew
phpbb
elys
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Milito » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:22 pm

For a guess, and a guess only, I'd suspect that he wanted to make sure that the name stayed in such a form as to tip people off as to what exactly the book was. He could get around declension problems of the last name by treating it as a 2nd declension noun with an -er ending!<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby bingley » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:08 pm

[quote ]<br /><br />I like to know one think! Why has Peter Needham not translated "Potter" into Latin? I would have thought that "figulus" will do very well! <br /><br />Any comments anyone!<br /><br />Andrew<br />
<br /><br />Probably for much the same reason why we don't know Cicero as Chick Pea or Alexander as Defender of Men. Keep proper names as close to the original as you can.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Episcopus » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:43 pm

domina et dominus dursley, qui vivebant...<br /><br />hah that's just class...<br /><br />Harra Potta = better because 1st dec owns<br /><br />volodemort volebat ad casam dominae dursley cum Albo dumbeldore ??? :o :-X<br /><br />
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby elys » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:53 pm

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=94;start=15#974 date=1056738140]<br />For a guess, and a guess only, I'd suspect that he wanted to make sure that the name stayed in such a form as to tip people off as to what exactly the book was. He could get around declension problems of the last name by treating it as a 2nd declension noun with an -er ending!<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br />Hi,<br />I would have throught that one could have fun with names by creating new names in Latin. Hagrid, could be Hagridus/ius/is/er and Dursley could be Dursleius?<br /><br />Andrew
phpbb
elys
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Episcopus » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:16 am

moribundus erat Harrius, volo-de-mort serpentium laudabat quia Pottam non amabat. <br /><br />I've read the p..p..preview...that was in it t t....
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:15 pm

i've read all the harry potter books in english and the first one in modern greek. that was ages ago, though, and just last week i started to re-read all of the books, starting with the modern greek one. the names are really funny, lol.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annis » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:02 pm

Ah.<br /><br />My Latin edition has arrived. Hardcover, nice modern font.<br /><br />I suppose I'll really need to review my Latin now. :)<br /><br />I hope the Greek one uses a standard orthography! I shall be quite put out if they use lunate sigmas or adscript iotas.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]eu)tuxei=te[/face]
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby mariek » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:18 pm

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=94;start=15#1148 date=1057784549]<br />My Latin edition has arrived. Hardcover, nice modern font.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hardcover ! That's really nice...<br /><br />I have all 5 HP books in English and the finst 4 in French (the 5th one doesn't come out in French until later this year, I think December). I was unable to find French versions in hardcover.<br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby vinobrien » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:43 pm

My Harrius Potter arrived at the weekend and since then I've been trying to read more about the wizards dressed in Greek cloaks (!), as well as now knowing the latin for screech owl, I feel a sudden facility with spoken Latin, especially that used by TV presenters...<br /><br />Bloomsbury are still promising [face=SPIonic]a(rrioj potter kai o( tou filosofou liqoj[/face] for this time next year and there is no evidence of a lunate sigma on their website.
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby Episcopus » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:22 pm

arrios potter kay o tou philosophou lithos<br /><br /><br /><br />Estne Harrius Potter multa pecunia?<br /><br />Potter will be 2nd declension right? Like puer<br /><br />potter, potteri, pottero, potterum, pottero
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:39 am

It could also be Potter, Pottri... but it's more likely to keep his name recognizable by preserving the "E".<br /><br />You forget that in Greek, the apostrophe stands for "H"!<br /><br />Harrios Potter kai ho tou philosophou lithos 8)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:09 am

maybe it will be: o xari potter, as it is in modern greek.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Episcopus » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:35 am

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1198 date=1057898358]<br />It could also be Potter, Pottri... but it's more likely to keep his name recognizable by preserving the "E".<br /><br />You forget that in Greek, the apostrophe stands for "H"!<br /><br />Harrios Potter kai ho tou philosophou lithos 8)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />beniss you have much reason! pottri pottro rum ro...indeed that would be correct...but you have yet more reason in your statement about the recognizing of potter :)<br /><br />You know Sirius? Would the genitive be Siri -ius ending? With plural still Sirii?<br /><br /><br />Heh yeah, someone needs to inform me about all the stupid accents and things in greek. I just know the raw alphabet I suck I know :P<br /><br />
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Milito » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:13 pm

Yup, Episcopus, the genitive of Sirius would be Sirii.<br /><br />And don't be slamming yourself because you "only" know the greek alphabet! Consider how few people actually know that much, how much Latin you already know, and that you haven't had opportunity (yet) to get into the Greek! Wait for it! It will happen!<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Episcopus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:25 pm

;D thanks I need a boost of confidence after looking at those GCSE set texts! <br /><br />so genitive is Sirii? what about those special -ius endings like cornelius, i not ii?<br /><br />eheu
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:00 am

Words with double I's were accepted during the Augustan era. During the Ciceronian era, however, this construction was either rare or unheard of. <br /><br />Augustan- Consilium, Consilii<br />Ciceronian- Consilium, Consili<br /><br />Augustan- Harrius, Harrii<br />Ciceronian- Harrius, Harri<br /><br />Since they are both regarded as Classical eras, you can choose whichever pattern you like. Most books, though, teach the Augustan rules, and you will be more likely to be understood by Latin speakers.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Episcopus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:54 am

D'ooge stresses that it is one i in genitive sing. and two i's in plural nom. <br /><br />/bangs table
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Milito » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 pm

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1273 date=1058041505]<br /> <br />so genitive is Sirii? what about those special -ius endings like cornelius, i not ii?<br /><br />eheu<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky, too, right? And all the constellation names are in Latin, and the stars in them are all in the genitive of the constellation and.... well... if you do some astronomy reading and/or hang out with astronomers you trip over genitives of Sirius. (Sirius is a double star, so you hear about Alpha and Beta Sirii..... And then Sirius itself is Alpha Canis Majoris......) So all that just is a long way of saying that my info in this case isn't exactly classical........ Go with Benissimus' explanation. (The explanation Benissimi.)<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Episcopus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:03 pm

yay Benissimi<br /><br />
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:43 pm

I say all names that can be declined SHALL BE DECLINED! Woo!<br /><br />Btw, second declension adjectives were always declined. <br /><br />Singular Plural<br />Eximius Eximii<br />Eximii Eximiorum<br /><br /><br />Would the vocative be "Eximie" or "Eximi"?
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Open Board