is/ea/id vs. ille/illa/illud

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
thecodingotaku
Textkit Neophyte

is/ea/id vs. ille/illa/illud

Post by thecodingotaku »

I'm an absolute beginner at Latin pronouns, and so I'm scared of falling into trap and messing up my Latin, so I'd like a good clarification if possible. :D Okay, my dictionary lists both "is/ea/id" and "ille/illa/illud" as "he, she, it". I tried looking up the differences, and one explanation was that the latter set made a previous "object" into a subject. Honestly, that's not a lot to go by, and I'm absolutely unsure about the cases where "ille/illa/illud" modify things as "that" (and possibly like a definite article?)

Are there any simple rules that govern the way to use these words? (I'm sure there is!) On a side note, I'm also interested in the use of pronouns in Latin in general. Does the language depend heavily on them, or (like say one of it's decendants, Spanish) hardly use them as subjects at all?

Any concise and right to the point explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: is/ea/id vs. ille/illa/illud

Post by adrianus »

Hi and welcome, thecodingotaku. See this:
Salve, thecodingotaku, et gratus tuus adventus nobis. Vide hoc:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ythp%3D297

De pronominibus personalibus et subjectis, vide §295a. Saepe sunt alia pronominum genera subjecta quidem (§§296-314).
See also §295 on personal pronouns as subjects. You will, however, often get other pronoun types as subjects (§§296-314).

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ythp%3D295

By the way, the "the" in your handle or nickname "thecodingotaku" will be "ille" if you are famous for coding.
In agnomine tuo, obiter, per "ille" vertitur "the" pronomen et tu programmator notissimus.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.