Best Book for Learning Intermediate Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MatthaeusLatinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Best Book for Learning Intermediate Latin

Post by MatthaeusLatinus »

There's Adler's practical grammar, for instance, which has greatly worked for me.

chodorov
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chodorov »

I used Benjamin D'Ooge's "Latin for Beginners," and that worked for me. It covers all of Latin grammar. I would also read through both Lingua Latina books. These books are simply the best resource available for practicing improving your Latin.

Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle »

What resources are you using at school? How do you learn best?

I second the Lingua Latina suggestion, as I always do- I'd also suggest picking up the College Companion book which explains the grammar in English for the first book.
Pax vobiscum!

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivanus »

I'll second Lingua Latina in conjunction with the College Companion. When learning on my own I quickly ran into deep water with LL on it's own. The Companion is geared to work directly with the text examples and covers both the grammar and the vocabulary.

There is also a Teacher's Materials book available that has the answer key to the exercises in the text as well as copies of the exercises if you want to xerox them to work with them.

You will still want a full grammar and a good dictionary.

Depending on your English grammar skills you might consider English Grammar for Students of Latin by Norma Goldman. I've found it invaluable for succinctly explaining grammatical concepts and illustrating it in both Latin and English.

kalkulatorkredytowy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kalkulatorkredytowy »

Go with Lingua Latina. The fastest and most effective way to learn Latin.