LSJ punctuation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
pster
Textkit Zealot

LSJ punctuation

Post by pster »

What does a colon mean?

What does an em dash mean?

For example:

χαλεπ-αίνω , Il.14.399, etc.: fut.
A. “-α^νῶ” Pl.Tht.161a, Men.Sam.204: aor.1 “ἐχαλέπηνα” Isoc.4.102, etc.; subj. “χαλεπήνῃ” Il.16.386; inf. “-ῆναι” 18.108:—Pass., aor. ἐχαλεπάνθην, v. infr. 11: (χαλεπός):—to be severe, sore, grievous, μέγα βρέμεται χαλεπαίνων [ἄνεμος] Il.14.399; εἰ καὶ μάλα περ χαλεπαίνοι [ὥρη χειμερίη] Od.5.485.
2. mostly of persons, to be violent, angry, “ὅτε τις πρότερος χαλεπήνῃ” Il.19.183, cf. Ar.Ra.1020 (anap.), Th.3.82, 8.92, Pl.R.426e, etc.; display or portray anger, “ἀληθινώτατα” Arist.Po.1455a31: c. dat., to be angry with . . , “Ζεὺς ὅτε δή ῥ᾽ ἄνδρεσσι κοτεσσάμενος χαλεπήνῃ” Il.16.386, cf. Od.5.147, 16.114, 19.83; “χ. τῷ ποταμῷ” Hdt.1.189, cf. Pl.Phd.116c, X. An.1.4.12, etc.; “αἱ [κύνες] τοῖς λίθοις, οἷς ἂν βληθῶσι,...

(The 2. here should be indented, not that it matters much.)

I was confused about this definition. When it gives the first translation, "to be severe, sore, grievous", I thought that was for the "Pass." but then I realized that probably wasn't the case. So I was curious whether anybody can tell me what LSJ mean by these pieces of punctuation. The semicolon is easy enough. It is just a stronger comma. But what about the em dash and the colon. Perhaps that is too demanding a question! But here is an easier one: What the first em dash before "Pass."?

Thanks in advance.