2 questions, please...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
solitario
Textkit Neophyte

2 questions, please...

Post by solitario »

No jokes please. This one's got me scratchin my head:
Officium nautam dē ōtiō hodiē vocat.
Duty calls today sailor's of leisure???

Also, now that you see how new I am to Latin, how long (in years/decades) would it take to understand this guy?

multos gratias et valete bene,
solitario

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: 2 questions, please...

Post by benissimus »

No jokes please. This one's got me scratchin my head:
Officium nautam dē ōtiō hodiē vocat.
Duty calls today sailor's of leisure???

Here the subject is officium, as you said, but the object should be the word "sailor", not a genitive "sailor's". Also, we rarely translate de as "of" and never in the sense of possession; I'm guessing you have some experience with Romance languages? :wink:

Anyways, I would translate this as "Today, duty calls the sailor from leisure."

Also, now that you see how new I am to Latin, how long (in years/decades) would it take to understand this guy?
Well, that depends on a lot of factors, namely your skill for learning a language and how well/often you practice your Latin. You could be able to read that in as little as a year if you go at a reasonable pace, or in a few months if you follow an intensive course.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

Salve benissime! Molte grazie. Should take me about a year or two. :)