mmm... how do i find an avatar?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kalailan
Textkit Member

mmm... how do i find an avatar?

Post by Kalailan »

how can i find an avatar that fits all the rules? it's impossible!
they are all either too big in weight or size.

and how do i, when i did find a picture, find out it's url?

Thanks,
Ronen

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ok, here is the trick I used:

1. Search for the avatar using Google's image search: http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=w ... e=UTF-8&q=

2. Right click on the thumbnail sized image/photo you want as an avatar and go to properties. e.g. if you check the properties on my avatar it will show the address http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:r ... orange.jpg

3. Copy the URL/Address shown and put that as your source for the avatar in your profile.

If you do it this way, you can ensure that your image has reasonable dimensions without having to host it on your own webspace.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

hmm... sorry, i had again accidently put this question in the wrong forum... Jeff, can you move this to the open board?
Thanks again,
Ronen

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Unless you want to hi-jack someone's url, ...:lol: I think you're going to need an image host. Anyways, you don't have a simple picture editing program? You can reduce the size of jpegs by changing quality settings. Also, a neat trick to reduce the size a tiny bit more is by slightly blurring the picture.

http://photobucket.com/

Also, if everything is out of reach, you can use this forum's images. :) I was using this forum's avatar for too long and I hope no one thinks I look like Bruce Campbell... also although I'm from southern Cali, I'm not from Beverly Hills either!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I'm not one of those blogging people. But in a need to have a place to host some pictures I want to share among the web pals I made a blog home page.

Nexus Ferocis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nexus Ferocis »

Hehe! :D

Thank you Benissimus! I never thought I'd find pictures to match the requirements, but now, I'd be able to change pictures daily if I want to!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Umm, does finding a picture with google's image search and then making an avatar of it count as stealing somebody else's site content? Or are there sites which allow you to use their pics as avatars?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think it is considered bad manners but unless the picture was created for the website, they probably took it from somewhere else.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

it depends on the site... assuming that the host site obtained the images legally (or actually created them), then you have to respect the wishes of the host site. *most* do not appreciate people linking images directly through the url like that, since it increases their bandwidth consumption without increasing their traffic, and that can cost them money. Most sites will specify whether you are allowed to do such a thing. But it's far better to a) create your own image, b) find one that's specifically free and legal, or c) pay for one. Once you have a legal image, find a place to host it so that you aren't using up someone else's hosting. You can get free storage hosting on the web.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Hi-jacking picture url's is another shady topic.... heh heh, this might turn out to be like one of those site stealing threads and it's going to be benissimus's fault. :) Hurry, and use the link I provided or else Jeff is going to write "RANT against Stealing Site Content Part II"

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

anyway, avatars are supposed to be personal. so get creative, grab a camera and/or an image program, and make your own!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

1%homeless wrote:Hi-jacking picture url's is another shady topic.... heh heh, this might turn out to be like one of those site stealing threads and it's going to be benissimus's fault. :) Hurry, and use the link I provided or else Jeff is going to write "RANT against Stealing Site Content Part II"
:lol: here it comes...

I don't recommend pulling avatars from servers which are not your own.

At the very least, no matter how small the file, it's bandwidth theft.

I'm happy to host anyone's avatar on this server as a courtesy - but you'll have to prove to me that you created the avatar or have permission to use it.

If you're an active forum member and want to use a public domain/classical looking image, just start browsing White's Illustrated Dictionary, First Greek Book or any other textbooks with images and illustrations. If you see something you like - use it. Hit print screen and paste into your favorite graphic editor for cropping and resizing. Make it no larger than 120 by 120 pixels.

I have my eye on this nice Persian looking one.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

I didn't know that was the maxium size... 120 by 120... anyways, I was lucky and my width was exactly 120 :) I didn't see any file size or picture size guidelines in the avatar guideline post. Basically, my logic was that it was smaller than mister T so I was good. :)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

1%homeless wrote:I didn't know that was the maxium size... 120 by 120... anyways, I was lucky and my width was exactly 120 :) I didn't see any file size or picture size guidelines in the avatar guideline post. Basically, my logic was that it was smaller than mister T so I was good. :)
I'm not that picky - just so long as the width isn't 300 our something. Otherwise, it'll stretch the template and also the image file will be most likely a larger file size that dial-ups won't appreciate.
Textkit Founder

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

jeff wrote:I'm happy to host anyone's avatar on this server as a courtesy - but you'll have to prove to me that you created the avatar or have permission to use it.
How about mine? I can show you the source code to generate it in the "eukleides" program. And it's not only related to the classics. It's in the classics.(Euclid, Elements, Book XIII) :D

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

jeff wrote:

I'm happy to host anyone's avatar on this server as a courtesy - but you'll have to prove to me that you created the avatar or have permission to use it.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. i shall see if i think of something nice to make up, and if not, i will just pass. never new it was so consuming...

thanks again.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Nexus Ferocis are you a fan of that film? I thought it was really strange... :? the Japanese come up with pretty wired ideas sometimes.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Make it no larger than 120 by 120 pixels.
Ahh... time for a new Avatar then... sorry that mine is so big, I didn't know about this rule either... :(

Nexus Ferocis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nexus Ferocis »

Which film? Akira or Princess Mononoke? I switched avatars… I will assume you mean Akira, because yes, that was strange at first. You have to watch it two or three times before it starts to make some more sense. As for being a fan, I’d say no, it just popped in my head. Granted I like it, but… I have never been a fan of anything, you could say; I just can’t devote too much time to one film or thing. I just enjoy one book, movie, ect. and move on.

But some people consider all anime to be very odd.