plural of pectus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

plural of pectus

Post by Junya »

Hi.

About plural of pectus

When is the plural form of pectus (as meaning the seat of affection) used ?
From the samples in L&S, I feel it is used when it refers to the heart of plural persons.
Is it, I mean, the plural, used when referring to a single person's heart ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: plural of pectus

Post by adrianus »

Yes, in the poets it often means a single person's heart, L&S says.
Et in L&S inquisivi et hoc legi:
L&S wrote:"—In the poets freq. in plur., of a person's breast..."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Hi, Adrianus. :)
These days I have been working only on Greek Aristotle, because of illness and the lack of energy from it, so Latin learning has not progressed much.

Your quote from L&S is written on the pectus as physical, bodily breast.
Can I extend it to the pectus as the seat of feelings ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Surely. // Certum licet.
OLD wrote: pectus...
3. The breast in respect of its imagined faculties, etc.: a (considered as the seat of the emotions, moral qualities, etc.). b (as the seat of intellectual faculties). c (considered as a source or organ of speech, prophecy, etc.)...
4. The soul, mind, or personality of a human being (including its emotional, moral and rational aspects). b toto ~ore, with one's whole soul, heart and soul...
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

I'm sorry but, I'm not sure.
Could you explain why you can say so ?
I mean, I am still bad at interpretation of L&S descriptions, and am not sure if an explanation given to the physical meaning (section 1) be also valid in the non-physical, tropical meaning (section 2) when that explanation is not explicitly written there (i.e. in section 2).

I mean...... I want to know why you can say the plural form of pectus, as meaning the seat of emotion, can be used with a single person,
when the explanation on the plural form usage with a single person is only given to pectus as the physical breast in L&S.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Junya wrote:...not sure if an explanation given to the physical meaning (section 1) be also valid in the non-physical, tropical meaning (section 2) when that explanation is not explicitly written there (i.e. section 2).
You are right that L&S hasn't an example of a plural for pectus referring to the soul/feelings of a single person, not that I can see. However, OLD does have an example:
Non invenitur exemplum aptum in dictionario de A&G. Aliter autem in OLD:
OLD wrote:pectus...4. The soul, mind, or personality...(pl. of a single person) Aeneas, tristi turbatus ~ora bello VERG.A.8.29

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Oh ! Thank you, Adrianus !

I don't have OLD.
Should I buy OLD, if I want to be fully equipped ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

If you want to be fully equipped and have the money, yes, buy it second-hand (it's pretty expensive new). But L&S, I would say, is sufficient.

Si tu omnibus necessariis instrui vis et res tibi suppetit, eme quidem illud dictionarium,—redivivum, quod carius est. Sufficit autem illud de L&S.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

What is the difference between OLD and L&S ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

OLD does classical latin only, up to 200 AD
Verba classica sola in OLD, ante annum aevi communis ducentesimum.