Thanks

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Favourite aspect of the Classics? (if possible to choose ONE!)

Latin language
26%
Greek language
33%
Literature
4%
History
11%
Philosophy
11%
Art and Archaeology
No votes
Philology and Linguistics (more general than the language section)
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 27

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Thanks

Post by whiteoctave »

Hey all,

Just wanted to say cheers for the friendly and intellectual atmosphere i've experienced here for the last six weeks or so. I'm off back to varsity tomorrow, and things no doubt will be as hectic as last term when I didn't find any time to loiter on the board.
I hope you all have a good Jan/Feb/March and will be sure to return during the Easter holiday, when I have another five weeks or so off.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

~dave

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

it's really hard to decide but i picked greek language since that is what started it all for me. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Hey whither are you going! We need you! If you must however, thank you for all of your benevolent words and critical analyses of dodgy topics that you have given to me.

I chose Latin because it's great. Sometimes the expressions and omissions and general style annoy me (that ties in with history and philosophy, how these people thought) I ignorantly think that Philosophy is pointless (but then again I don't know what it is about exactly) and I suppose (putare) History to be quite boring. Unless there are televisional recreations of, say, a gladiator's journey "ab salute" if one might call "servitutem" "tutam" as it were. Thanks BBC.
Last edited by Episcopus on Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Philisophy definitely! :D There are some other aspects that interest me too, but I think I can safely say Philosophy interests me most.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'll admit it - I'm sorry to see you leave. Your posts have been great and you've been very helpful. But school calls and there is your duty.

But return soon. When you do, bring more of your kind back with you!

all the best at school,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Definitely Philosophy (you go, Emma! ;))

Good luck with the upcoming term, Dave...

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

I also chose Greek language for the same reason as klewlis. :)

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

History for me, 'those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it' or words to that effect. I find that the more I learn about what mankind has been up to in the past, the easier it is to put what's happening now in perspective. (Or perhaps I'm just getting old and cynical)

Thanks, too Dave for all your input - I hope you enjoy your next term, and I look forward to more of your posts when you're able.
Phil

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

V.I.LENIN said: Study, study study. :evil:
Indeed, let us not become Fachidioten.
...and let us not become marxists-leninists :lol:
greetings from the former eastern block
rimon-jad

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I thought the reason textkit had so many Greek books compared to Latin was Jeff's bias towards the language he knows better, but I guess Greek is pretty popular after all.

I was torn between choosing Latin language or Linguistics but I'm glad I pitched in for Latin or else isti barbari might be winning by even more.

vale bene Dave, una dum commisceamur
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I picked philology and linguistics. It was the closest they came to pure love of words and knowledge....