drilling endings/irregular words in Koine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
katb4now
Textkit Neophyte

drilling endings/irregular words in Koine

Post by katb4now »

Hello everyone :-)

My 15 year old son and I are trying to learn Koine.

I would like to drill endings by declining or conjugating out each of our vocabulary words.

I don't want to drill irregular words by mistake though.

Is there a list somewhere of what NT words are irregular?

Kat

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

for verbs, look for lists of "principal parts", which will basically give you all of the principal parts for irregular verbs. there is a good one at the back of Metzger's "lexical aids for students of new testament greek", which is a little book you should have anyway if you are learning koine. it lists all of the vocab of the new testament in order of frequency, down to words that are used 10 times or more--words that are used fewer than 10 times are not included. so you can start with the most frequent vocab and work your way down!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

katb4now
Textkit Neophyte

thank you and...

Post by katb4now »

Thank You! I will buy that book. I have Pennington's audio CD on frequent words so wasn't really looking at anything else like that.

Should I just assume nouns are regular? I'd like to be able to drill the nouns too.

Or at least have a list of nouns that I know are safe to use for drilling each declension.

Kat

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yes, assume that nouns are regular unless your textbook says otherwise, since practically all of them are. It's the verbs that you have to watch out for.

The only odd nouns I can think of off the top of my head are ones that are the wrong gender for their declension (like οδος, which is feminine but second declension), but even those decline normally within their declension.

Which textbook are you using?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus