Strong's dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
katb4now
Textkit Neophyte

Strong's dictionary

Post by katb4now »

Does anyone know where I can find an online Strong's dictionary that I can print out?

I printed out Strong's Greek in a nutshell and I can cut the pages and put them in a 5 1/2 by 8 binder. I would LOVE to be able to add a Strong's dictionary to the binder.

I need something in small text and WITH the phonetic pronunciations.

I like to learn languages with multiple books, but all the Greek grammars are teaching different pronunciations. I figure my best bet is to use the Strong's pronunciation so we can be consistent.

I have a BIG concordance, but it has WAY too much stuff in it to be handy.

Kat

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

If you are looking for a good koine lexicon, Bauer is the standard. If you can't afford Bauer, get the "shorter lexicon of the greek new testament", by Danker--it's the exact same thing but very abridged, so it doesn't have all of the detailed background info on each word.

I didn't even know there was a strong's dictionary, unless you mean the one at the back of the strong's concordance...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

katb4now
Textkit Neophyte

yes...

Post by katb4now »

yes, the one in the back of the concordance.

I'm actually thinking of ripping it out and binding it.

Do the lexicons you mention give the phonetic spellings like in Strong's.

Is there a reason why this ISN'T a good dictionary for beginning Greek students?

What do you think of the pronunciation charts? The nutshell pamphlet is slightly different.

I'm thinking it would be a best seller if someone could put out a nice little pocket copy with detailed pronunciation rules at the front that match IT'S phonetic sellings.

Even better I'd love to have it in the back of a greek interlinear bible.

I have McReynold's interlinear keyed to Strong's but it has a lot of the concordance in it and not the pronunciations. It's too big to carry around easily.

Kat

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

no, I don't believe that Bauer has the phonetic spelling, as it is aimed at people who already know the pronunciation (my only full copy is electronic and it's on my other computer so I can't check just now). It's designed for students and scholars. However, there are many resources on the web which could help you with pronunciation and such, and once you learn it you won't have any problems with the regular lexicons.

Strong's is designed for people who *don't* know the language and most likely aren't going to learn it... so it's more on a popular level and I don't know any scholars who would use it (which is probably why it has never been published as a pocket dictionary ;). I'm sure it would be fine while you are just starting out, but eventually you will want to get something more comprehensive.

:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

katb4now
Textkit Neophyte

starting out

Post by katb4now »

I don't know about others, but for us, we need just a simple definition and help in pronunciation. Until we know more grammar, detailed definitions aren't of much use.

I would think there are lots of beginners who would like to be able to purchase a $9.98 paperback with a pronunciation guide for every word in the NT.

Maybe not though :-) No one else seems to be looking for one.

Kat