Cast your Pebbles!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Cast your Pebbles!

Post by Elucubrator »

Come on everyone! We have a hundred and fourty members and only two or three people vote on any of the polls!!! (ok 5 in one of them) <br /><br />What's the problem? Are they that boring? I find it fun to cast a vote and then watch the changing results as more and more members chime in, it's like a game. <br /><br />But of course it's not exciting if nobody plays.<br /><br />Can anybody speculate why it is that no one votes?<br /><br /> ???

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Cast your Pebbles!

Post by annis »

I'm sure a lot of those members joined once thinking it would be cool, and have never come back, or only check the site once a month. This forum has been very slow to build up to the point where you'd need to read it more than once a week.<br /><br />Patience.<br /><br />--<br />wm
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Indeed, what fun is posting polls (or anything for that matter) if nobody responds! I suspect that a lot of people come here, ask a question, and then leave when they get an answer (or realise they aren't getting one).<br /><br />I'm the moderator at a computer gaming forum which has over 10,000 members - and over there, although people come initially to discuss games, it's the general forums that keep people there: the ones where they can just be social.<br /><br />So - I think the Open Board is of more value than it might seem. Yes, we all have a common interest in the Classics - but even among classicists, you don't spend all day discussing Classics and nothing else...

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yes, I'm with William in that the Forum until just recently has grown very slowly so most members have sadly moved on.....<br /><br />Raya, you're right, more boards are the answer...I'll be adding more soon.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Maybe they are just dumb like me and didn't realise how to vote!

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Mea culpa..... I'm afraid I don't check daily....... But I did vote today!!<br /><br />Milito

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

Welcome back Milito. Hope you start dropping by more often. By the way how did you manage to metamorphose into a Yak???<br /><br />seba ;)

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Regarding the yak.... consider the temperature in Winnipeg in the winter.... becoming a yak is a survival mechanism.....<br /><br />Milito

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

i hope this doesn't count as necromancy, as it is forbidden by the torah.
(not that i would care much)

i was looking at old posts, and when i stumbled upon this i thought:
why don't you make a mechanism that after a long period a member doesn't come here, sends an e-mail to them that tells them their acount would be closed in such and such time, if they wouldn't state the want it kept.
that way people will not leave their acounts even if they aren't using them.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Kalailan wrote:i hope this doesn't count as necromancy, as it is forbidden by the torah.
(not that i would care much)

i was looking at old posts, and when i stumbled upon this i thought:
why don't you make a mechanism that after a long period a member doesn't come here, sends an e-mail to them that tells them their acount would be closed in such and such time, if they wouldn't state the want it kept.
that way people will not leave their acounts even if they aren't using them.
because then our count would be lower... and higher numbers attract new visitors. and newer visitors mean more people to participate! :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

You can't count me in on this one, as I try to make a habit of voting in every poll except the ones where I don't understand the answers or the question (due to one or both being in Latin or Ancient Greek.)

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

My favorite aspect is Latin and Greek language together. There is no option for this. So, I didn't vote on the poll!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

O Elucubrator, where art thou? True necromancy would be to bring him back, Kalailan :roll:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Did you not hear, Steven? I am he respawned. :shock:

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Episcopus wrote:Did you not hear, Steven? I am he respawned. :shock:
I do wonder what Elucubrator would have to say about that... ;)