greek fonts

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

greek fonts

Post by klewlis »

I'm looking for a cool greek font for a particular purpose, and want to check out as many as possible. I already have the following fonts:

Spionic (of course)
GraecaII
PYLH

and possibly a couple of other common ones on my other computer.

What else does everyone suggest? Free or really cheap is best. I'd kinda like one that is a little scripty, like handwriting. Ideas?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Klewlis,

This is a pretty good list.

http://perswww.kuleuven.ac.be/~u0013314 ... /fonts.htm

jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I did find that one through google just now, and am in the process of trying some of them out. it's great fun! :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Be careful or you'll end up like me. When I pick a font for something, the drop-down menu is so fool of unknown fonts I have to look really carefully for a font that is actually normal or compatible for other people :roll:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

benissimus wrote:Be careful or you'll end up like me. When I pick a font for something, the drop-down menu is so fool of unknown fonts I have to look really carefully for a font that is actually normal or compatible for other people :roll:
this doesn't need to be compatible for anyone but me... i'm making an image out of it. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yeah, but they stay in there... :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I don't know if this suits your purposes, but my personal favorite is Gentium (from http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... id=Gentium). Both the Roman and the Greek alphabets look quite nice. They're rather similar too, so a page with both Greek and Roman text is still readable.

Ptolemaios

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oh, i like that one, especially the epsilon.

at the end of this i will create an image that shows all the different fonts i've tried so you can all see them. :)

however, i still can't find something very scripty. i may have to do it by hand to get what i want....

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

You want something done, do it yourself! (quoted from The Fifth Element)

P.S.

:wink:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

How can I make my own fonts? Sounds fun :D

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Compatibility in Unicode

Post by Geoff »

What is an extremely compatible greek font in Unicode?

I use the Keyman from tavultsoft and haven't quite figured out how to get certain characters yet such as iota subscritpt. Is there a universal key map for these things or does each maker determine which key does what?

I confess I'm a font nitwit. :?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Compatibility in Unicode

Post by mingshey »

Geoff wrote:What is an extremely compatible greek font in Unicode?

I use the Keyman from tavultsoft and haven't quite figured out how to get certain characters yet such as iota subscritpt. Is there a universal key map for these things or does each maker determine which key does what?

I confess I'm a font nitwit. :?
I find Palatino Linotype and TITUS Cyberbit Basic has well designed greek letters, not to say the Latin letters. I also installed Keyman and the most thing I hate about it is it doesn't support Uppercase digamma, nor sampi and qoppa in both cases. And the reason they don't is "because they take precious keyboard space", when they are mapping a few characters on more than one key each!. :evil: :shock: Ah, you can type iota cubscript with '|' ("vertical bar" key). It's quite similar to beta code, except that breaths are on '[' and ']' instead of '(' and ')'.
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Compatibility in Unicode

Post by mingshey »

-- this is an error, please delete it, William :D --

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Thank you

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the tips. I've used both Palatino and Galatia SIL before and like them. I especially like the one that ships with logos (BibliaLS) but its practically unusable if you want to share since so few people have it and there are copyright restrictions or something.

Titus Cyberbit is interesting, but not my kind of font. I have a New Testament with something similar to it and everytime I see those kappas my brain trys to figure out if its a chi or an aleph (hebrew-talk about a meltdown). I like the gentium font, but I don't think I could get used to using it (I like something with a bit more pronounced seriff).

I'm not the fount of font foolishness I first thought :lol: . I just had the wrong version (5.0) of keyman and the wrong keyboard-"polytonic" instead of "classical greek" That's why I couldn't get the iota subscript and several others (I was starting to wornder if a vertical bar in Korea was the same as here :oops: ).

I read a page that suggests the digamma is available by pressing alt-v with this keyboard (classical greek). I couldn't get it to work, but I'm not sure that I have it in these fonts.

I also read somewhere that Times new Roman supported polytonic greek in unicode, but I didn't get that to work either.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Where keyman fails to input certain obsolete characters like sampi and qoppa, or even digamma, you can use the Unicode Classical Greek Inputter site, though. -- try the "Greek Letters" button below the input window.

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

Emma_85 wrote:How can I make my own fonts?
Macromedia Fontographer is the standard for font creation. I find it fun and frustrating at the same time.

For typing in Greek, I use SC UniPad, then convert to HTML code with a VB app I made.

Don't know if that helps.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

A New Favorite

Post by Geoff »

Porson is a beautiful Unicode Font for greek its not stiff like many of the cleaner fonts which are usually san seriff. Its bold and easy to read and seems to more closely match the orthography in newer textbooks.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ball0087/download/porson08.zip