Search has been disabled?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Search has been disabled?

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

Since the forum has been repaired, all search functions have disappeared. Is this intentional?
mihi iussa capessere fas est

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Search has been disabled?

Post by Adelheid »

I just ran into that as well. The FAQ states nothing in the 'Search' section about it being disabled so it must be a glitch.

I have been away for a month, so missed that repair of the forum. What was that about?
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

Please restore the search-the-archive function.

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

Adelheid wrote:I have been away for a month, so missed that repair of the forum. What was that about?
For several days, threads were not viewable - there was an SQL error of some sort.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Search is how I find all new posts since I last visited (I bookmark search.php?search_id=newposts). Hopefully this is just a tiny glitch. I can't see any reason why search would be disabled intentionally.

Though, when I am actually searching for something, I seem to get much better results when I go to google and type site:textkit.com and then my search terms rather than using the forum search.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

It seems Jeff is not reading his messages lately. Does anyone know another way of letting him know? My whole Textkit routine is gone :wink: , I did the same as edonnelly.
Regards,
Adelheid

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

It's a shame there has been no response to this issue. It really irks me I can't use this feature anymore.
Regards,
Adelheid

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Really feels like this is an orphaned thingy by now. I know I shouldn't get annoyed and I won't, it takes a lot of effort to create a site and forum like this and maintain it.

I just think it's such a shame.
Regards,
Adelheid

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Does anyone know Jeff personally? Is he ok? This isn't like him at all.
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Personally no. Just via this site. But I agree, I am getting a little bit worried.
Regards,
Adelheid

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I, too, haven't heard anything from Jeff regarding the last few messages I've sent him this year regarding the problem of spam etc. Not sure if something has come up and the site has fallen by the wayside...

Let's just hope that he can return sometime in the future to sort things out. IreneY and I will try to moderate the new posts as best we can, but it's a lot of work given the amount of spam that the site receives.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Thanks for all that you both do. Now that we know, that it should be easier for us to be patient if spam etc does become visible.
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Bedell wrote:Thanks for all that you both do. Now that we know, that it should be easier for us to be patient if spam etc does become visible.
The problem isn't so much that spam gets through, but that there is a huge backlog of "invisible" spam waiting to be approved/denied by a moderator. Literally thousands of messages/posts that pile up. Most of it is obvious spam, but we still have to process them.

I'm partly responsible for the backlog, as I haven't had a lot of time for textkit (and Latin in general) the past year or so, but I'll try to stay involved.

I emailed Jeff at an address I have for him, so hopefully I'll hear something back.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Can't anyone else help with that? It sounds time consuming in the extreme for just a couple of people!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I've been in contact with Jeff and he is going to take a shot at overhauling the spam filter and some moderation issues, so hopefully that will keep the forums alive and kicking.

I've also proposed condensing the existing forums into three major headings. Many of the existing forums are barely used as is, and I think it would be best to have general topic forums for Latin, Greek, and then General discussion. I'm not sure if this plan will go through, but I think it would help make the forums more lively to consolidate discussion.

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Great news. Well done!

Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle »

Those updates sound great, and I'm looking forward to them!

But... to get back to the original topic- did the search function disappear intentionally, or accidentally? Will it be coming back?
Pax vobiscum!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Quin Firefrorefiddle wrote:Those updates sound great, and I'm looking forward to them!

But... to get back to the original topic- did the search function disappear intentionally, or accidentally? Will it be coming back?
I'll contact Jeff regarding that issue.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Yes, forum search has been restored

thanks,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Excellent. Thank you! :D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

You're welcome and I'm sorry for the delay. My 'day job' for the past two years can get quite intense and I really let Textkit slide.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Real life always has to come first; that's what puts the dinner on the table. :wink:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thesaurus wrote:
Quin Firefrorefiddle wrote:Those updates sound great, and I'm looking forward to them!

Intentionally. There was a scripting attack that exploited a vulnerability in the forum's caching of searches. But the unintentional part was how long the feature remained offline.
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thesaurus wrote:

Intentionally. There was a scripting attack that exploited a vulnerability in the forum's caching of searches. But the unintentional part was how long the feature remained offline.
Textkit Founder