Translation question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Translation question

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I was wondering, how to translate the sentence He entered the house through the backdoor. I came up with the following variants:
  • Aedificium per posticam intravit.
  • Aedificium posticâ intravit.
Which one is correct? Or are both correct and merely emphasizing different aspects?

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation question

Post by adrianus »

per porticam "through the backdoor" and porticâ "by the backdoor".
I would say both work, Carolus.
Bonum utrum, dicam, Carole.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Adriane!
adrianus wrote:per porticam "through the backdoor" and porticâ "by the backdoor".
I would say both work, Carolus.
Thank you. I did some further research. A search on the internet for "per ianuam" gave several results:
  • Miraculosus Christi per Ianuam clausam ingressus: this is the title of a book containing a sermon.
  • Marcus per ianuam (in hortum ad equum) currit: from a grammar site.
  • Qui non intrat per ostium in ovile ovium, sed ascendit aliunde, ille fur est et latro: from the Evangelium secundum Ioannem, 10.1 and .2
However, I'm still wondering about the second variant, i.e. using an ablative.

Having a look at A&G's New Latin Grammar, I do not think that such an ablative would be an ablative of the way by which (A&G, sect. 429.4a) as that seems to imply some spatial extent of this "way" which is not the case with a mere doorway.

It could be an ablative of Means or Instrument (A&G, sect. 409), but the examples given by Allen & Greenough do no fit exactly. Nonetheless, Aedificium posticâ intravit feels good (I guess, I have developed a slight weakness for the pure ablative).

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

In this, you actually have both:
Portâ unâ cum per portam habes hîc:
[b]Examen quintum in Prophetiam Ezechielis[/b], [url]http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RXxAAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA380[/url], wrote:Cur princeps eâdem portâ orientali, quâ intravit, exeat? Cumque ingressurus Princeps...per eandem viam exeat.
You might also like to translate "entered from" instead of "entered by", as in "à portâ"
Aliter, sensus per "à portâ" concipiatur
[i]http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/protospatarius.shtml[/i] wrote:praedictus Smaragdus Eques intravit Barum per vim à porta Occidentali, et exiit iterum
entered with force from the Western gate and again exited
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

And Google just translated "The owl swallowed the mouse." as "Noctuam devoravit mus."!!!

And "scuba diver" as "Aliquam varietas" :: I have seen the old English adjective "divers" = "various" in the Bible, but how does "scuba" become "aliquam"!?!?

"The cat scratched the dog." became "Cati scratched canis.".