On the Matrix (from 'Nonessence' @ The Academy)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Only the first part mind you... you don't need to see part 2 and 3 :wink: .
I went and saw the Matrix which my mum and dad, so the people at the cinema didn't ask about my age and let me in anyway. But they don't check much anyway... I always got to see any film I wanted to :P .

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Emma_85 wrote:Only the first part mind you... you don't need to see part 2 and 3 :wink: .
True. The second and third movies focus more on faith and free will than on the nature of reality, though questions of reality are still present. Fun stuff. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

the matrix for philosophy?!?!?!
it is fast-foolosophy (nice word game on food, fool, and philosophy here :wink: ).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hehe! Good pun.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Someone on the classics mailing list said something quite memorable about the first Matrix movie: "Someone read the Hypostasis of the Archons at an impressionable age." Which was his way of saying the movie is full of Gnostic ideas.

I'm always amazed at the persistence of certain gnostic notions, in particular the idea that our embodiment in physical reality is a Very Bad Mistake, and we belong somewhere else.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

It's gnosticism, buddhism, nihilism, a fairy tale, a comic book, a sci fi, a gamer movie, an action movie, a romance, and a thousand other things sprinkled with a few classical and biblical allusions just to keep us on our toes. Not to mention the fact that it blew the lid off of all former cinematographic boundaries.

I love it. :)

Who is it that said artists are a culture's prophets? :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Wow.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

klewlis wrote:It's gnosticism, buddhism, nihilism, a fairy tale, a comic book, a sci fi, a gamer movie, an action movie, a romance, and a thousand other things sprinkled with a few classical and biblical allusions just to keep us on our toes. Not to mention the fact that it blew the lid off of all former cinematographic boundaries.

I love it. :)

Who is it that said artists are a culture's prophets? :)
Yeah, a Japanese anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion" uses symbolism of Kabbalah to the same ends. (And look, it criticises and tries to enlighten its own fans--anime otaku's-- at the finale!)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

mingshey wrote:Yeah, a Japanese anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion" uses symbolism of Kabbalah to the same ends. (And look, it criticises and tries to enlighten its own fans--anime otaku's-- at the finale!)
Ah, Evangelion.

I love any fiction where the main computer is called "Central Dogma."

I must say, though, that I found Evangelion especially impenetrable anime. Of course, I never managed to see the entire thing, since the friends showing it regularly both graduated and moved west.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I sat down once and attempted to watch it but was so bored halfway through that I couldn't finish it. apparently I just don't *get* it. I was also unimpressed by the animation and translation.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

A friend of mine has all the books and most of the films, but I must say it's just impossible to follow if you haven't read them all from the beginning. With out my friend telling me everything that had happened so far I would have understood nothing, but even so it was terribly difficult to follow most of the time (I watched a few episodes and read half a book :wink: ).