Hittite Grammar

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Hittite Grammar

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

A few months ago, I found a web page where you could download, page by page, images of an old Hittite grammar book. Since it was late and I was tired, I was going to return to that page the very next day and download the files. I never found the site again. Does anyone know of this site, or if it is still in operation?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hi! Welcome to textkit!
:idea: How about checking your recent URL list from the URL bar near the top of your web browser?

And please post the URL if you find it :D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Or you can check your history if you open up Microsoft Internet Explorer and click on the toolbar button "History". I have no clue about that website though... I would be interested to see it myself.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

I cant try either of your suggestions because I came across this site on my old computer, and it crashed before I thought to look in the history or in the URL list. Since the computer was old and needed another hard drive, I bought a new computer instead.

The site may have been connected somehow to a university in Chicago, and the grammar was scanned page by page, like the ones on the Indo-European Languages page, except I believe the images were JPEGs instead of Tiffs or PNGs.

I wanted that grammar so bad I could taste it, now I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

Meanwhile, Adobe Acrobat has ceased functioning on my new computer, and I cant fix it. I have all the PDFs from Textkit except most of the translated texts, and cant use them. More withdrawal symptoms.

If you're not already aware of them, there is an Avestan grammar on Avesta.org, and a Coptic grammar. I cant remember the name of the website for the Coptic, but search for 'Plumley's Sahidic Coptic Grammar' and the site should come up.

I have searched many times for the site with the Hittite grammar, and I fear that it no longer exists. If anyone downloaded it and is willing to share, I would love to know.

I believe the grammar may have been Sturdevant's Comparative Grammar of the Hittite language. If so, the site may have had to stop offering the free download because some university publisher bought the expired copyright and is now publishing a new edition. I'm not sure if this is the case or not.