ἀπόλλυμι Strongs 622- apollumi- help please!

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
CoxRox
Textkit Neophyte

ἀπόλλυμι Strongs 622- apollumi- help please!

Post by CoxRox »

Hi guys, you've helped me before and I hope you can spare a little time to help me again. I'm trying to understand what is implied by the Greek word ἀπόλλυμι. If we take as an example John 3:16- it is usually translated as 'perish'. Other examples of where it is translated as 'lost' are Luke 15:6 (the lost sheep) and Luke 15:9 (the lost coin).

Here's my problem: does 'apollumi' have a bearing on the differing views of the state of the dead and their eventual eternal state? Does it imply that those who are perishing, will still be conscious after they die or is it more about the state of someone whilst they are alive - like the prodigal son who was 'perishing' or was 'lost'?

I understand 'perish' to mean being utterly destroyed, or to be in the process of being utterly destroyed, which ultimately means to be annihilated out of existence.

I hope you can see what I'm trying to determine and I really appreciate any help you can give me. :D