Cicero

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

Cicero

Post by Emma_85 »

After the Christmas holidays we'll be translating Cicero - 'De re publica' (well, what's left of it), but I've sort of forgotten everything I knew about Cicero, which wasn't much in the first place :P .
Because all the classes already translated some speeches by Cicero, my teacher won't bother at all to tell us anything about Cicero's language :? . On top of that I've translated nothing but poetry in the last 3 years (except for some Sallust).
My edition of the text doesn't have any help in it at all, except for a very brief commentary, as the author also expects the pupils to have some knowledge of Cicero.

Do any of you know any sites on the Internet where I might be able to read up on Cicero's style and peculiarities? Or aren't there many? I really can't remember (and neither can anyone else in my class :wink: ) if his style was somehow difficult and special, but I have a feeling there some things I might need to know.

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Don't worry! Cicero is not that difficult, cause most grammars are based on Cicero. The Latin we learn in our grammars and the Latin we use in our prose compositions, is the Latin of Cicero and Caesar. So, normally you will have no problems with the Latin.

Greetz,

Moerus.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Thank you! I wasn't sure... :roll:
Don't know what my teacher was on about then, maybe he was just trying to scare us :roll: .

At least this time Cicero won't be as boring as it was last time (says me hopefully :? ), now it's philosophy :) .

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

You may want to look at that HCP Prose Composition based on Cicero, I just bought that from ebay in USA. Dedication :lol: