Are undergrads supposed to memorise vowel length and accents

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
CRCulver
Textkit Neophyte

Are undergrads supposed to memorise vowel length and accents

Post by CRCulver »

I'm currently studying Greek and Latin at the university level and hope to<br />major in them. Right now I attend a Jesuit university that teaches Greek<br />and Latin only because of their importance in Christian history and not<br />out of a desire to offer a rigorous education in the classics. I hope to<br />transfer after the next school year to a university with a solid classics<br />program to complete my degree.<br /><br />However, I'm somewhat worried about how my current learning will fit in<br />once I reach a classics department. Though I already can read easier texts<br />(Xenophon and Caesar nearly at sight, Euripides and Virgil with occasional<br />reference to a dictionary), I've almost entirely neglected vowel length in<br />Latin & Greek, and accent in Greek when learning vocabulary. Must<br />undergraduate students memorize these minutiae, or is reading<br />comprehension the most important thing?<br /><br />I hope a professor or grad student of a good classics program can advise me.<br /><br />Christopher Culver

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:Are undergrads supposed to memorise vowel length and acce

Post by Elucubrator »

Hi Chris:<br /><br />First of all don't worry; although knowing such things as vowel quantities and accentuation are a great help (Frankly, I don't know how people get by without it.) it is still not something that will hold you back from switching over to a Classics focused department. In truth, sad as this is to me, most people pay no attention to vowel quantity and accent when reading.<br /><br />You would still do well to learn it, as it will help you a great deal in reading verse correctly and in scanning it without a problem, and also because there seems to be a fresh surge in interest in the reconstructed pronunciation, so if you decide to continue in Classics professionally you may be a more popular candidate if you can read it with attention to all of these details. That wouldn't be such a bad thing in a field in which many will find no work. But again, you don't have much to worry about when switching over to an undergraduate programme in classics.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />-S.<br /><br />PD The sooner you learn the right way, the easier it will be for you.