Latin terms for weather, geography, plants, etc.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

I will post this in a few places as there seems not to be too much activity in some of the boards.

I am working on composing a text that is very descriptive in terms of geography, water features, woodlands, hills, passes, valleys, plants, trees, flowers, weather, and the natural world in general.

I am working on compiling a database of terms in a variety of such categories. Does anyone have any such lists, or know of sites that would contain such useful tidbits? When I am finished it I will happily post it up here for others to use.
Thanks
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

Polyfloisbos
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin terms for weather, geography, plants, etc.

Post by Polyfloisbos »

That would be amazing :D . I have no idea about the existence of such list, but I think that Naturalis Historia by Pliny, some works of Dioscorides or modern literature on botany can be really useful. You can check also Wikipedia for the list of plants, with their cientific names in Latin. I have also in mind a book by William Stearn (Botanical Latin) on this subject, but I'm not sure if it gives the ancient Latin names or the neolatin ones.

And if you want to complement it with the colours of the plants, you must see this: http://www.harbornet.com/folks/theedric ... olores.htm

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

One Mr. Ripman has created a topical dictionary that, I think, should suit your needs to some degree. Click the second-to-last link in this page.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Thanks a lot, Sceptre Holder. There are some amazing resources there, that largely render the work I was doing obsolete. Saves me a lot of time. Thanks again.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

You're very welcome! The Internet has a wealth of these resources, but many of them are well hidden.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

magister_molinarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by magister_molinarius »

Sceptra Tenens wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:57 pm One Mr. Ripman has created a topical dictionary that, I think, should suit your needs to some degree. Click the second-to-last link in this page.
This link no longer works, any idea where this information can be found currently?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

magister_molinarius wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm
Sceptra Tenens wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:57 pm One Mr. Ripman has created a topical dictionary that, I think, should suit your needs to some degree. Click the second-to-last link in this page.
This link no longer works, any idea where this information can be found currently?
Check under http://hiberna-cr.wikidot.com/downloads

magister_molinarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by magister_molinarius »

Sceptra Tenens wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:57 pm
Check under http://hiberna-cr.wikidot.com/downloads
I think that's got it.Ripman's seems to be what I needed, thanks

Jim Bryan
Textkit Member

Post by Jim Bryan »

Magister Molinarius
I have a number of pages of weather terms (Rain, Wind, Cloudy, Sunny, storm etc), often in phrases or sentences. I can email them to you if you are interested.
Jacobuls (Jim)