Setting up the Vulgate

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
agresko
Textkit Neophyte

Setting up the Vulgate

Post by agresko »

I am very close to being able to read the vulgate. However, I would like the English Line UNDERNEATH each Latin verse, and an ability to click on each word and have it defined and parsed. I dislike vulsearch because it only allows clunky page to page correspondence, and while Perseus is better and all, the English doesn't automatically display (having to click for the english when youre viewing verse by verse is rather annoying)and, furthermore, is to the right of the Latin instead of under it, unlike a juxta/interlinear. To provide an example of what I'm looking for, something like vulgate.com, but with the ability to click on Latin words. Then, I could once again return to my Latin studies, with progress and pleasure. Thanks!

lauragibbs
Textkit Member

Re: Setting up the Vulgate

Post by lauragibbs »

If you use Firefox as your browser, the Alpheios Latin language tools might give you what you are looking for:
http://alpheios.net/

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, download "Holy Bible" by Paul Avery. It allows you to view English on once side, and Latin on the other (after you have downloaded the Vulgate via the app, of course).
mihi iussa capessere fas est

agresko
Textkit Neophyte

Post by agresko »

Thank you so much again Laura, this is absolutely beast. Is there anything under the umbrella of Latin that you don't know or have? Much thanks :D.

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivanus »

If you are using a Kindle, you can get there with a couple of tools. The first is an interlinear Vulgate such as "Kindle Catholic English-Latin Diglot Bible." This gives the English verse with the Latin below it. The second is "An Electronic Latin Dictionary" by Lucas Nicolato. This is a dictionary and a collection of the the texts from http://www.thelatinlibrary.com. The nice part of this is that you can set the Kindle to use the Latin dictionary and it will then, very slowly, parse Latin words and give you a probable match. It's not 100% but I've found it very helpful. It also gives you the ability to work disconnected and with only one device.