2 trans. difficulties

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chiron2b
Textkit Neophyte

2 trans. difficulties

Post by chiron2b »

[size=18=12] ι αμ ηαvινγ τρουβλε φινδινγ ωορδς το τρανσλατε τωο σεντενξες. αλλ ηελπ ωουλδ βε αππρεξιατεδ. τηανκς.<br /><br />[size=150]καὶ προσελθὼν ἠρώτησε ποῦ ἂν ἴδοι τοὺς στρατηγούς <br />[size=18=12]ωηατ δοες τηε "προσελτηων" μεαν, ηοω δοες ιτ φιτ?μψ γυεσς ις νομ.,σινγ.,μασξ. παρτιξιπλε. (λυων)<br /><br />[size=150]ἢν γὰρ ἅπαξ δύο ἢ τριῶν ἡμερῶν ὁδὸν ἀπόσχωμεν... <br />[size=18=12]ωηατ δοεσ τηε "αποσχωμεν" μεαν, ηοω δοεσ ιτ φιτ?Μψ γυεσσ ισ Πλ., 1στ.π, Αξτ. Συβς., Πρεσ. 9λυωμεν0Τηανκσ σο μυξη εϛερψονε.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:2 trans. difficulties

Post by annis »

chiron2b wrote:<br />[size=18=12]ωηατ δοες τηε "προσελτηων" μεαν, ηοω δοες ιτ φιτ?μψ γυεσς ις νομ.,σινγ.,μασξ. παρτιξιπλε. (λυων)<br />
<br /><br />This is an aorist participle from [size=150]προς‐έρχομαι.<br /><br />
<br />[size=18=12]ωηατ δοεσ τηε "αποσχωμεν" μεαν, ηοω δοεσ ιτ φιτ?Μψ γυεσσ ισ Πλ., 1στ.π, Αξτ. Συβς., Πρεσ. 9λυωμεν0<br />
<br /><br />This is an aorist subjunctive of [size=150]ἀπ‐ἔχω.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

i'm curious, what are you translating? sounds like it's classical greek, nothing strange like herodot or anything. <br /><br /><br />Quote:<br />what does the "aposxwmen" mean, how does it fit?<br />My guess is Pl., 1st.p, Act. Subj., Pres. (luwmen)<br /> <br />i think it's 1st person pl. ,conjunctive, aorist act. of ap exo. it's certainly not pres. as that would be [size=150]ἀπεχομεν<br />[size=150]ἐχω is present tens root but in aorist it has a different root ([size=150]εσχον). the augment epsilon disappears in conjuctive.<br />

chiron2b
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chiron2b »

I am just translating JWW First Greek Book, and I don't know what sources he has chosen. (Roughly Paragraph 614 I believe.) Still not confident enough to jump into the Anabasis, so I might stick with the Grammars and get a refresher with North & Hillard's Greek Prose Composition.<br /><br />Thanks for your help everyone.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

the text book we were using at school was "Ars Graeca", but that was only for 2 years like, now we just translate.<br /><br />are you sure you want to start with Xenophon? i heard it's mostly very boring, like military stuff mostly. maybe you'd be better with something like Lysias (which is what i started with). it wasn't boring (though i personally didn't enjoy translating his speeches much, and failed the exam that term).<br />but that was just me like, everyone else much prefered Lysias to Plato.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

but then agian... you'd have to order lysias from your book shop and it would probably cost quite a lot, too.