A forum

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kalailan
Textkit Member

A forum

Post by Kalailan »

I know a forum that is different. not from textkit in particular(i think textkit's forum is one of the best.), but from all forums i know other then that one.

in that forum, everyone can delete or edit each and every post.
i know it sounds crazy, especially when it is the 2nd largest contents site in israel.

what do you think about that idea? and i don't mean what do you think about aplying the same idea for textkit. textkit is good as it is.
i mean how do you think it works?
i am not asking technicaly, what html or whatever term used.
i mean in the responsability of each one of the writers.

it is wierd that it hasn't been deleted by hackers yet, as just about every word you type in google in hebrew will apear in that site.

just a thought.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Can delete or edit each and every post, regardless of who posted it...as in, Episcopus could put words in my mouth? No, way! Definitely do not like that idea...

What is the benefit of such an idea?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

When someone edits my post for example, does it then say that they edited it, or if they delete it, that they deleted it? If so then it may not be that bad, but otherwise I agree with Keesa. You'd always have to around checking your posts and hoping no troll had edited them (edit: not saying Episcopus is a troll).
If everyone could edit and delete other's posts they'd all have moderator status, but I'm sure that not everyone at that site would know how to use those powers correctly.
Are posts often edited there or not?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

This free-for-all is called a Wiki. It's a bit more like a large communal book than a forum, though I don't know the details of the Israeli site Kalailan mentioned in particular.

One very successful experiment: http://www.wikipedia.org - a huge Encyclopedia project. Some of you may recognize the writing style for some of the articles on Greek poets and poetry. :)

While it's true people can cause problems in a Wiki, there are also logs. You can usually go back in time to see who edited what.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

You can see when someone edits a page, (there is a long page for each topic rather then several messages on each small page the topic is divided into.) but you can't tell what part they edited. and, it is incredibly easy to do so. but people there are responsible and although they do delete, they do so when something is offensive. and i do not recall anyone ever putting words in someones mouth.

the benefit is the atmosphere, which is totally different.
i can't really explain why, but it is.

there is one moderator there which can return pages if a troll comes in.

yeah, i heard about the wikipedia. it is a great project.

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

whats happend here? i wanted to put this topic in the academy in the first place. then i go in the open board, and see it there. now i come here, and see it here.
is this some sort of horror movie?
where are the vampires? :twisted:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Wasn't me :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Wasn't me.

Perhaps it was your evil twin.... :roll:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I think it is more of an Open board topic, though.

It probably works, because what the people in that forum want to do it have meaningful discussions, they probably don't go there just to insult others (well they'd just be deleted if they did that :wink: ). And there is no point in messing up other peoples posts if what you want is to discuss something properly, over time you often develop a certain respect towards others in a forum community even if you never see them or meet them. The 'locals' are especially well behaved if a lot of new people are around I've noticed, too. And that again leads to the newbiea respecting the 'elders'.
We had quite a lengthy discussion on this subject on another forum I used to go to often (now I only go there occasionally).