Ch 32 'sic inviderit'

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
phil
Textkit Fan

Ch 32 'sic inviderit'

Post by phil »

P&R 6, At volumus cognoscere cur sic inviderit et cur...
But we wish to learn why he is sic jealous, and why...

I'm not quite sure how to translate 'sic' in that sentence. I though it meant so/thus/in this way, as in 'don't do it that way, do it sic.' But if I just plug 'so' into that phrase, it seems to mean 'so (very) jealous'. But if that were the meaning, wouldn't 'tam' be a better word? Neither of the other meanings of sic make sense to me either .. why he was thus jealous?.. why he was in this way jealous.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think so would be a good choice in this sentence. The important thing to remember is that sic almost always modifies the verb, so I really recommend taking the meaning from the Latin instead of the translation if you are able to do that. You can say it in English with the adverb after the verb, to clarify that it is modifying the verb as in: "But we wish to know why was jealous so..." or just replace it with "in this/that way". Putting "so jealous" works well for translation purposes though, but you should try to remember which words modify which.

Does that answer your questions?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Ah, I did not properly understand the meaning of 'sic'. It makes sense now, thanks. :)