New PDFs

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

New PDFs

Post by Lex »

I noticed today that the count of available texts suddenly jumped up by four (yay, Jeff!), but the titles of the new texts were not listed in the new title list. So, does anybody know which ones are new?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Lex, they're going up now:

3 Literal Translations - Cicero, Caesar and Ovid
NT Greek Pocket Lexicon
NT Gospel of St. Luke's
Xenophon's Anabasis Book VI

http://www.textkit.com/new.php

It's worth noting that all of the above books were scanned and sent in by a very helpful volunteer. Hats off to him!

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Thanks!
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Wow, those are nice. Why is that page so hidden? I don't think I've ever seen a link to it.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

benissimus wrote:Wow, those are nice. Why is that page so hidden? I don't think I've ever seen a link to it.
I'm a strong believer in ease of navigation. So I try to only include the most important links in the standardized horizontal menu. Otherwise, I would have to develop a menu that would quickly grow out of control.

So that site map is the launching pad for other areas of the site that are either less important or being developed.

:!: The Constantine icon represents content only found through the site map.

BUT.. the time is coming to better categorize the grammars, learning aides and readers. Especially since NT content is steadily growing.
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

All these lovely new books and my broadband is off the air for a few weeks! Can't wait - I'll just have to suffer the old 56 K modem!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Carola wrote:All these lovely new books and my broadband is off the air for a few weeks! Can't wait - I'll just have to suffer the old 56 K modem!
Ack! I can't live without broadband. Once mine was down for a day and I had to use dialup and I nearly went crazy (seriously ;)

why for so long????

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

All I ever use is dialup...

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

me too. i do sometimes get to a machine with a broadband connection, and then am getting used to it, which makes me dissapointed when i get back home.
:x

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

This is great. I love literal translations. It really dispenses with vocabulary lists. I don't understand why some people don't think literal translations or interlinear translations is a good way of learning. Yeah, I guess it does make you lazy and spoiled after a while, but it is still more efficient than learning with just a dictionary. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have another help at your disposal if you were to learn the traditional way. What would be ideal for me is complete translations with notes. Oh well, can't have 'em all. :D

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Folks, you can check the Language Book News to see if a new book is on. But I wasn't checking it recently 'cause the news wasn't being updated for long. ;)

By the weay the books are so nice. Caesar's De Bellum Gallico's something I've long been wished to read in Latin. The structure of it is ugly, but it must be quite useful.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

klewlis wrote: Ack! I can't live without broadband. Once mine was down for a day and I had to use dialup and I nearly went crazy (seriously ;)

why for so long????
Changing from one ISP to another. Telstra, the Australian telecommunications company, has to change the speed codes on the ADSL line. Unfortunately they are probably the world's most inefficient, arrogant pack of @&!!** (I won't say what!) and it has now taken them 3 weeks to do this!!!! This is for a business line, not a home service.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Yeah, telstra are often utterly incompetent. When the telstra guy came to install my ADSL, he confessed he didn't know how to set it up, and so I did it (not a problem for me), and he just sat on my chair the whole time commenting about books in my room. He even broke my chair. It collapsed underneath him. I did see the humour in the situation but others may have been quite upset about it.

Every time there's a problem with telstra it takes several phone calls, letters, threats to take legal action, etc, before they fix things up. I don't think they have any clue what they are doing half the time.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Yes, I had to threaten Telstra with the Communications Ombudsman before they would even start the work transferring the line - they need a good shake-up, starting from the top - perhaps those old Romans had a better idea, banishing non-performing execs to the far outposts of the empire. A few years running a telephone exchange at Bourke or Pooncarie might give them a reality check!

(For non-Australians - Bourke and Pooncarie, although charming places, are not the centre of Australia's industrial or political life! )

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Perhaps that's why they are charming places. :)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

bingley wrote:Perhaps that's why they are charming places. :)
I love to spend a week or so at Pooncarie, camping on the river, visiting the one shop or having a beer at the wonderful Pooncarie Hotel, with its carpark full of utes complete with cattledogs and men wearing Akubras.
For the average high flying executive, hell-bent on climbing the corporate ladder to nowhere it would be hell! That's why I love it - one of the last places on earth where you can forget the rest of the world and sign off.
They even have a golf course (with snakes), you can check your email at the Post Office (which seems to be a room at the back of someone's house) for the huge sum of about 50cents a half hour. Heaven!