Latin story #24 from 38 Latin stories

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
spqr
Textkit Fan

Latin story #24 from 38 Latin stories

Post by spqr »

sentence in question: Illi identidem in silvas ad suos se recipiebant ac rursus ex silva in nostros impetum faciebant.

teacher's guide translation:Those horsemen were repeatedly retreating into the woods to their own men and then again from thje woods, making an attack against our men.

I came up with the same thing but I said ..... retreating into the woods to their own men THEMSELVES...

I couldn't figure out what do with the se word. Perhaps I am erring by trying to translate too literally word for word. Opinions anyone?

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin story #24 from 38 Latin stories

Post by Damoetas »

Se recipere, as a combined expression, means "to retreat," literally, "to bring oneself back."

If a writer wanted to say "to their own men themselves," i.e. emphasizing the men, it would be ad suos ipsos. If it was emphasizing the people who were retreating, it would be ipsi ad suos se recipiebant.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?