come to think of it

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

come to think of it

Post by Lavrentivs »

Is there an explanation of this formulation that makes it seem less ungrammatical?

Sorry to have started asking quæstions about English instead of Latin, but you seem to welcome it.

Is there a radio program about peculiarities of English? I know there are such about Danish and German, but haven't been able to find any about English.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: come to think of it

Post by adrianus »

come to think of it = [having] come to think of it, [when you] come to think of it,
OED wrote:b. with dat. infin. to come to do , to come to be , etc. Phr. (when one) come(s) to think of it , when one considers, remembers; on reflection.
1563–87   J. Foxe Actes & Monuments viii. 327   He came to understand that.
1590   J. Smythe Certain Disc. Weapons Sign. **,   The same Saxons‥themselves came after to be conquered by the Danes.
1629   H. Burton Babel No Bethel 86   How comes then M. Cholmeley to be thus egregiously deceiued?
1653   H. Cogan tr. F. M. Pinto Voy. & Adventures xxxv. §3   When any exhalation comes to dissolve in the air.
1693   R. Bentley Boyle Lect. viii. 1   But how came the Sun to be Luminous?
1838   R. H. Froude Remains II. xiv. 179   When one comes to think of it abstractedly, it seems hardly conceivable, that any person should be so blind.
1842   Tait's Edinb. Mag. 9 246/1   She‥liked [him] more and more as she came to know him.
1859   F. W. Faber Spiritual Conf. 180   Perhaps an abrupt transition: but not so, when you come to think of it.
1875   L. M. Alcott Eight Cousins xii. 134   Come to think of it, she's only two years or so younger than I am.
1885   Act 48 & 49 Vict. c. 76 Pream.,   The River Thames‥has come to be largely used as a place of public recreation and resort.
1889   K. S. Macquoid Roger Ferron I. 54   How came you to be up so early?
1913   ‘S. Rohmer’ Myst. Dr. Fu-Manchu xviii. 199   ‘No,’ he returned reflectively; ‘come to think of it, neither did I.’
1926   R. Macaulay Crewe Train x. 196   Come to think of it, we've had a heavy day house-moving.
1927   C. Asquith Black Cap 100   What was printed there, staring up at her, was really very sad, come to think of it!
1943   E. M. Almedingen Frossia ii. 59   Come to think of it, I never knew why I married Hugo.
Sorry to have started asking quæstions about English instead of Latin, but you seem to welcome it.
It's not really appropriate here, I personally reckon, Laurentius, but, on the other hand, it's not a crime and it's none of my business. // Mos malus, ut puto, Laurenti; alterâ parte, id facinus non est, nec id ago.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.