Participle question

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
cscase
Textkit Neophyte

Participle question

Post by cscase »

Hey all. I'm working on the exercises for chapter 27 in BBG and I've run across something I can't figure out.

In the translation exercises, #5 is this:
Παυλος δε και Βαρναβας διετριβον εν Αντιοχεια διδασκοντες και ευαγγελιζομενοι μετα και ετερων πολλων τον λογον του κυριου.

What I don't understand is why ευαγγελιζομενοι is passive - i.e. why it uses μενοι instead of οντες as an ending. My first thought was that maybe the verb is deponent, but looking it up in my lexicon, it does not appear to be: the lexical form is ευαγγελιζω.

In the answer key, here's what it says this sentence should translate as:
But Paul and Barnabas stayed in Antioch, teaching and preaching the word of the Lord with many others also.

Teaching and preaching seem to be parallel there, so why do the participles use different endings? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Scott

Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Participle question

Post by Grochojad »

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... i&la=greek, it's a deponent verb, and so uses middle endings.