Textkit Logo

Chase & Phillips ch39 Exc.I-1

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Chase & Phillips ch39 Exc.I-1

Postby mingshey » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:49 am

[face=SPIonic]tre/xontej e)fai/nonto oi( pai=dej kai\ e)/bhsan ei)j to\ i(ero\n pri\n to\n a)/rxonta gnw=nai au)tou/j.
[/face]

It's been a hard chestnut for a long time. And now I challenge this sentence:

The boys were shown running and they went in the sanctuary(or just temple) before the commander who knows them(lit., knowing them).
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Ptolemaios » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:35 am

Just one quick tip: [face=SPIonic]gnw=nai[/face] is not a participle.

Ptolemaios
Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Postby mingshey » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:55 am

Yes, it's a present 2ndary perfect of infinitive. But I'm at a loss how to treat an infinitive here.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby annis » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:15 am

mingshey wrote:Yes, it's a present 2ndary perfect of infinitive. But I'm at a loss how to treat an infinitive here.

The problem is the pesky [face=spionic]pri/n[/face]. Here it is taking the inf+acc. construction: "before the leader recognized them."

I'd also say "the boys appeared running" or even "made an appearance running," which is a bit awkward but less confusing.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:07 am

annis wrote:
mingshey wrote:Yes, it's a present 2ndary perfect of infinitive. But I'm at a loss how to treat an infinitive here.

The problem is the pesky [face=spionic]pri/n[/face]. Here it is taking the inf+acc. construction: "before the leader recognized them."

Thanks, William! And I've figured it out just before looking at your answer, chewing it repeatedly since, and noticing that the leader was not said to be running after the boys, and the only verb he can take is [face=SPIonic]gnw=nai[/face]. :D

I'd also say "the boys appeared running" or even "made an appearance running," which is a bit awkward but less confusing.

Truely, thanks! :)
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek